WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Have you ever thought about NOT hiking in boots? I forever hear stories about people complaining of blisters with boots. What do you think is going to happen when you put a soft foot in a hard boot?

I use running shoes with Smart wool socks to hike. I have NEVER had a blister, ever. They are extremely comfortable, dry-out fast, and hold up very well on slick rocks.

Give it a shot. I bet you never go back to those bulky, uncomfortable boots.

Steve Sr.

Do not think the two Charlotte REI stores are any better, they are not regarding knowledgeable people, especially ones that know what they are talking about regarding feet. Don't waste your time.

It is really surprising that Raleigh does not have any stores that have a knowledgeable boot person, not just H. boots.

The days of a knowledgeable person is coming to an end unfortunately.

There is a good store near asheville called Diamond brand, and had a guy named Gary who really knew his stuff. There was even tools that I know that he had to stretch leather. Give them a call first if you decided to go out there.

I hate to say it but you may have to return them and get another brand.

Zappos is fantastic regarding customer service. I have ordered a large $$$ box of boots from them once and sent the others back. However you cannot wear them outside, but you can compare and contrast what fits best.

If you are looking for an all leather boot look at LL beans Cresta Hikers. They are full grain and do not have that rubber toe cap so if it does need stretching it will stretch. You also have a year to actually get them dirty. They are about the same weight as what you have.

I honestly think that the problem is the toe cap that restricts any stretch on the vasques.

As mentioned before I have to wear boots and have had the same problem as you when all places have the opposite and leather boots have fallen out of favor.

I have been to outdoor 76 based on what boot you have they may not be worth the drive to the opposite end of the state.

Another alternative is get a boot stretcher on amazon. Get a wooden one. The old saying, if you want something done right, do it yourself may be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Sorry, for some reason my mapping system shows two Franklins in NC, one in the western part of the State, the other just north of Raleigh.
    Franklin, NC is in the SW mountains. Franklinton, NC is a wide spot in the road about a half hour north of Raliegh!

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Have you ever thought about NOT hiking in boots? I forever hear stories about people complaining of blisters with boots. What do you think is going to happen when you put a soft foot in a hard boot?

I use running shoes with Smart wool socks to hike. I have NEVER had a blister, ever. They are extremely comfortable, dry-out fast, and hold up very well on slick rocks.

Give it a shot. I bet you never go back to those bulky, uncomfortable boots.
    I am a certified sawyer so need boots as part of the required PPE.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Steve Sr.

Do not think the two Charlotte REI stores are any better, they are not regarding knowledgeable people, especially ones that know what they are talking about regarding feet. Don't waste your time.

It is really surprising that Raleigh does not have any stores that have a knowledgeable boot person, not just H. boots.

The days of a knowledgeable person is coming to an end unfortunately.
    We have 3 REI stores in the area and they carry the largest boot selections that I have found. Between REI "big box" and online sales the other local outfitters have downsized or disappeared.

[QUOTE=misterfloyd;2263877]There is a good store near Asheville called Diamond brand, and had a guy named Gary who really knew his stuff. There was even tools that I know that he had to stretch leather. Give them a call first if you decided to go out there.

Diamond Brand is a manufacturer in themselves. I don't know if this is the company location or just an outlet but will check it out if I am in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    If you are looking for an all leather boot look at LL beans Cresta Hikers. They are full grain and do not have that rubber toe cap so if it does need stretching it will stretch. You also have a year to actually get them dirty. They are about the same weight as what you have.
    I'll keep these in mind.

Well, I tried my taping experiment which consisted of putting thin adhesive tape around the tops of my two little toes on both feet. I then put on a pair of olefin sock liners and regular (not expedition) Smart Wool hiking socks.

The toes of the boots had been pre-soaked in a bucket of water. I also hiked around a local lake that was flooded by recent heavy rains so the boots got wet during the hike as well. One thing that I was surprised to find that the leather dried surprisingly fast. The toes were dry before I hit the flooded trail and again by the time I got home.

The adhesive tape put an end to the toe rubbing issue. However, when I got home I could definitely notice the tightness at the outside of my little toe on each foot. Unfortunately, this is at the exact spot where the rubber toe cap joins the leather upper. Based on this I can see that these boots will never break-in as rubber will not stretch like leather would.

Back they go to REI!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++