WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ledges in NJ ?

Default Ledges in NJ ?

Hi
    Is there a section in NJ or maybe NY near NJ with a stretch of open ledge walking? It is not obvious from the trail guides or the map. I'll be up there in the spring, I think, and I'd like to check it out.
    Thanks
    Rusty Joints
    Chapel Hill NC

Sort of. The first NJ/NY state line crossing was on a ledgey section. High point north to NY had some rocky sections.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

There are some in Southern NY, especially in Harriman SP. The best are on Black Mt and West Mt. Here's a panorama shot (composite) that I took on Black Mt.
    39 Black Mountain Viewpoint panorama.jpg
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

The answer is no.

Thanks, everyone.. I was up there last summer, and did some hiking along the AT in the Delaware Water Gap. I thought that the area near the NY border looked promising, but I ran out of time. I'll check out Harriman NP sometime, and try to get back to the 2 NJ/NY borders. I guess I shouldn't expect anything dramatic.
    Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Joints View Post
    Thanks, everyone.. I was up there last summer, and did some hiking along the AT in the Delaware Water Gap. I thought that the area near the NY border looked promising, but I ran out of time. I'll check out Harriman NP sometime, and try to get back to the 2 NJ/NY borders. I guess I shouldn't expect anything dramatic.
    Rusty
    I wouldn't say it's dramatic, but you can get some nice ledge walk near the border into NY. This is your first chance of seeing the NYC skyline

These are prime timber rattle snake and copperhead habitat. Watch your footing.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If you're doing Harriman, the most interesting ledge walking is on the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail, going up toward West Mountain from Route 106. More challenge than the AT. (Yeah, I know, the Lemon Squeezer, but that's just one little spot.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++