Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
4 miles a day sounds wonderful---it's what I do on my backpacking trips unless I get a wild hair and punch out a 12 mile day.

A 6 week backpacking trip also sounds wonderful---42 days of righteous outdoor time and bag nights.

Any place you decide to go is a-okay unless you're constricted by fees and permits and onerous regulations thereby crimping your 42 day trip, i.e. the Smokies.

Thru careful study and experience I have found a normal backpacker can carry 30 days worth of food without resupply---but a 42 day food load would be a real challenge. But at 4 miles per day nearly anyone could carry 30 days worth of food and stay out with no interruptions. Sounds fantastic.

I could draw you up a 42 day trip route on backpacking trails in Georgia/TN/NC and list campsites around 4+ miles apart---while using all 400+ miles of trails in this 3 state area---like starting on the BMT in Georgia and entering Cohutta wilderness and pulling all of its many trails and then go up into Big Frog wilderness in TN and do loops etc etc. And then head north on the BMT and enter the Bald River/Upper Bald River wilderness for many more loops---before climbing up to Whiggs Meadow and doing all the loop trails in Citico Creek/Slickrock/Joyce Kilmer wilderness---and ending your trip on the AT in Walker Gap above Fontana.

It would be a "trip of a lifetime"; a real Expedition trip.
Tipi I'm not normal lol. I can't carry that much weight lol. I appreciate the offer though.

I've decided I will be on the AT. I am working with another WB hiker and we are planning to hike together for 2 weeks. After that I'm still not sure....