Asking for another shakedown as prep for the PCT. I like doing these because if I swap out gear I like to use it here at home for a while. I'm at that point of diminishing returns on baseweight, but always looking to increase efficiency or functionality. I also value a small compact kit.

My goal is to hike all day at a reasonable pace. I can most likely come out of the gate doing 20's. I don't aim to hike fast. But If I just meander for 10 hours in the beginning I'll definitely hit 20's without injuring myself. I average 15-30 mpd here in the whites while backpacking. This will also be the lightest kit I've ever hiked with. I talk to a lot of people about gear on the PCT. I wanted to go ultralight as much as possible without going stupid light. I'm not a sniveler. I'm use to discomfort. I am however, much more comfortable overall with this kit than I have with kits weighing twice as much. Hiking and in camp. My skillsets have drastically improved over the past few years, especially with ultralight techniques.

I'm so use to cold and wet trails. I'm excited to hike in drier environments.

I'm pretty much as light as possible without spending thousands or changing something big like jumping to a DCF poncho tarp. 7x9 is about as small as I'd want to go without adding my bivy. I like the size because it works well with/without the bivy. I'd prefer a cat cut, but I think I'm gonna just use the flat tarp till its worn out then explore options for my next tarp. I'd prefer a DCF grace solo over my 7x9 thought. I don't want to carry a heavy power bank/electronics but considering adding a tiny lipstick bank because my headlamp is rechargeable only. I may even go the solar route to experiment for a few ounces.

y goal is too not spend lots of time in town on this trip. The AT was my "party" hike. Even though I only had a beer or two ha! I'm much more interested in spending more time on trail nowadays. If I stay in town, I prefer a hiker hostel that caters to thru hikers. I enjoy exploring town just as much as I do the trail. But I'd rather focus more on spending time on trail than in town. More time on trail = less time "putting in the miles to get to canada"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CSUX4qKGg&t=6s - me and this guy have a similar style of hiking. I like what he has done with the solar. I'm most likely going to experiment with a system similar to this one for the next year.

I've always wanted to play with solar more. PCT seems like the place to do it. I've done enough research to know they work, I'm also not trying to power a bunch of stuff. I kinda just want to try it out. There's pros and cons. But there's also pros and cons to keeping a battery bank charged. I have a few Anker battery packs. I'll prob toss one in a bounce box and see if the solar works or not.

Lighterpack: https://lighterpack.com/r/a2jvu9

I have a problem with hoods. But I love hoods and mine actually layer quite nicely.

More or less looking to discuss options. I have some good gear. Maybe there are some products out there or PCT specific considerations that would be more ideal. I don't want to go uber light on some things because I want it to last a thru.

Thanks for taking the time to help a hiker out. Always enjoy the feedback. I'll prob do one more shakedown before I leave. Hopefully with some DIY gear. I made a bunch of gear this past year to use on the PCT... and wore it all out lol. I would like to make a pack and possibly a tarp if I have the will/extra $$ laying around.