WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for Guidance on Gear Weight

I have been reading on this site for about 10 years and always found great information. I have finally decided to take the plunge and attempt an AT thru hike starting the 2nd week in March from Springer. I have done a bunch of 5 day hikes on the AT and Foothills trail and most of what I have or brought has worked well. For my thru I am now hoping to get some feedback on my gear from the experts on this site. I think I am OK on weight. Even though it lists at 21.5 lbs (without food or water), taking off the worn clothes and poles, the base weight is now down to about 16 lbs. I feel pretty good about that. Any suggestions on things I could reasonably cut out or things I am missing would be appreciated.
    My list is online here.
    Thanks
    G

what are you going to put water in?
    I didn't see anything on your list for that.

Good call.
    Probably also need to add a few more ounces for ziplocks and stuff sacks for everything.

Images

You've got enough experience to be your own best expert. But my only thoughts are regarding keeping warm in early March through mid April. I think that during that time period you may very well have some cold nights in a 30°F bag, even a WM one. If I were going to start a thru in early March, I'd bring my 10°F Versalite and then switch to the 35°F Caribou once into VA and warmer weather in early May. You might want to add a light quilt for the first month and/or wear the puffy and whatever other insulation you're carrying at times. Based upon the weight, you may want warmer gloves or overmitts. Does your puffy have a hood? It all depends upon the daily weather, but 30°F is almost right on the average lows all the way through GSMNP and a bit beyond on a normal pace. You can usually expect ±10°F variations from that average on a regular basis, which would indicate planning for 20°F, but up to ±20°F variations from average aren't all that uncommon, especially at higher elevations in the mountains. Then again, if you get some 10°F temps and/or a winter storm that's also good reason for a zero in a warm motel.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-10-2020 at 19:27.

I would add a long sleeve shirt. My Dickie work shirt has traveled many miles. Long sleeve base layer and work shirt is all I hike in most of the time in temps down to the 40's. Add the rain jacket if needed.

30 degree bag, even with the liner will be marginal at times. I've suffered through nights in the 20's with a sleep system best used above 40 a few times. Not bad so long as it's only a one night cold snap. But going from the beach to the mountains in the middle of March, you might want a warmer sleep system until say, May.

So far this has been a very warm (but wet) winter and if that trend holds, it might not get all that cold in March this year. Or that's just wishful thinking. Pay close attention to how the weather is trending in early March.

I highly recommend GTX boots and gaiters for the late winter/early spring wet season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    30 degree bag, even with the liner will be marginal at times.

coming from fl even a 10f set up may leave you feeling cold - but certainly alive

Thanks for the replies. The rating of the bag has indeed been a concern of mine but I have hesitated to get something warmer. Wasn't sure I needed it with the liner. Although from FL, I do like the cold, just maybe not that much cold. Since the response has been consistent that that is where I should focus, I will look into a warmer sleeping bag.

G

Leonidas

How cold have you slept down to in that combo of bag and liner? I ask because typically, liners best case add 5 degrees rather than the claimed 10-15. For almost the same weight, you could layer a down throw from Costco or a 50 degree quilt and actually get close to 20 degrees of insurance.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GooseMan View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The rating of the bag has indeed been a concern of mine but I have hesitated to get something warmer. Wasn't sure I needed it with the liner. Although from FL, I do like the cold, just maybe not that much cold. Since the response has been consistent that that is where I should focus, I will look into a warmer sleeping bag.

G
    If your bag has enough girth (is it a WM Megalite?) you might be able to supplement insulation with a light quilt inside, or if not using one on the outside to avoid the expense of another bag. As JC 13 notes, those liners don't add much warmth and reviews on them aren't great as far as adding warmth. Slo noted that you can also keep a close eye on the weather as start day approaches and adjust gear, schedule, etc. Obviously, no one can predict the daily weather, but here are some of the high/lows reported for Mt Leconte in GSMNP for March of last year. You're likely going to be just fine most nights with what you have, but it's those nights in the low 20's and teens (and potentially worse) that are of concern. Obviously LeConte is going to be a few degrees on the cold side based upon elevation compared to northern GA, but it gives you an idea of what to expect in the southern Appalachians and GSMNP itself which you'll probably hit roughly week 2 - 3 of the hike. The temps are from daily reports at http://www.highonleconte.com/ . I started here http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts/previous/30 and just followed the "forward" links at the bottom of the pages. It is a daily narrative, and temps aren't always reported, but I tried to keep the daily temps in the best order I could] Gives a good idea of what to expect both temperature and overall weather wise (rain, snow, ice, cloud cover, etc.)

2019 daily high/low temps

Mar 3 - 9: 49/35, 41/13, 23/8, 18/-2, 21/-1, 35/16, 42/25
    Mar 10 - 16: 45/37, 51/33, 40/26, 51/26, 48/39, --/--, 27/10's
    Mar 17 - 23: 20's/--, --/--, 33/17, --/--, 20's/10's, 20's/17, 40's/--
    Mar 24 - 30: 40's/--, 38/27, 40/25, 43/27, 50/31, 50/34, 32/10
    Apr 1 - 5: 35/10, 28/22, 50's/28, 51/31, 50s/30's, end
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-11-2020 at 15:07.

I use HighOn LeConte blog all the time when I pull my backpacking trips in the TN/NC mountains. I'll be on a 5,000 foot mountain at -10F and nearby Mt LeConte will always be -20F or worse. It's amazing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I use HighOn LeConte blog all the time when I pull my backpacking trips in the TN/NC mountains. I'll be on a 5,000 foot mountain at -10F and nearby Mt LeConte will always be -20F or worse. It's amazing.
    Tipi, you probably spend more bag nights in the southern Appalachians in every season as anyone in the world. What is your opinion of the 30°F bag with an early March start?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ...I think that during that time period you may very well have some cold nights in a 30°F bag, even a WM one. If (starting) a thru in early March,... I'd bring my 10°F Versalite and then switch to the 35°F Caribou once into VA and warmer weather in early May. .

This^^^ The WM Versalite may be a little too warm under some sleep system set up and that times weather scenarios but it has a full zip. Maybe, better a little overkill a few days as far as warmth than not enough warmth. Again, it depends on one's personalization.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    But my only thoughts are regarding keeping warm in early March through mid April . . . It all depends upon the daily weather, but 30°F is almost right on the average lows all the way through GSMNP and a bit beyond on a normal pace. You can usually expect ±10°F variations from that average on a regular basis, which would indicate planning for 20°F, but up to ±20°F variations from average aren't all that uncommon, especially at higher elevations in the mountains. Then again, if you get some 10°F temps and/or a winter storm that's also good reason for a zero in a warm motel.
    Seconding this. These are the actual highs and lows in Cherokee, NC during March 2019. Note March 6-7:

screenshot.jpg

On the morning of March 6, 2019, when it was 16F in Cherokee, it was -2F at Mt Leconte (a good proxy for the temps on Clingmans Dome).

The next morning, it was -1F. And we haven't mentioned wind chill yet.

On March 20th, the low at Leconte was 17F.

Temps in the low 20s at elevation are common well into April.

Hello neighbor! Looks like a good list, I’m sure you will tweak as you go. I personally like my mid weight wool cresta top and bottom (long underwear), wool cap and wooly socks for sleeping, but then I tend to sleep cool.

Wet wipes will dry out to almost feather weight. Add a little water when needed.

Hand sanitizer is overhyped in in my opinion, water, soap, scrub together 30 sec and then dry works great.

Good luck
    Last edited by kestral; 01-13-2020 at 16:36. Reason: Addition

++ New Posts ++