WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Operation for puffy

Yep I have to send my precious ghost whisperer to the hospital for a 3" tear. The patient has developed a tear in her inner abdominal at the very bottom zipper location. The zipper is still attached and working. But I won't wear again until it's repaired. I love this jacket had it many years and been out many trips. So I'm in the process of finding a good seamstress . Has anyone else had this issue in the same place and is there anything specific I need to relate to such said seamstress?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Yep I have to send my precious ghost whisperer to the hospital for a 3" tear. The patient has developed a tear in her inner abdominal at the very bottom zipper location. The zipper is still attached and working. But I won't wear again until it's repaired. I love this jacket had it many years and been out many trips. So I'm in the process of finding a good seamstress . Has anyone else had this issue in the same place and is there anything specific I need to relate to such said seamstress?
    I've seen more holes and tears in ghost whisperers than any other premium ultralight down jacket.

An extra half ounce is worth it for a shell fabric with increased durability.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Yeah hind sight 20/20 I have to concur but otherwise the jacket looks and feels brand new.

Your probably better off using a repair tape then trying to have it sewed. I've had decent luck using Liquid Stitch to fix things in which sewing wasn't practical and to cover hole or tear with similar material. The place you tore a slit is in a high stress/ high wear area, which is why it tore.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

A lot of folks suggest that for materials like these tenacious tape is often a more viable repair than sewing. Have you considered sending it in to Mountain Hardwear? They may cover it under the lifetime warranty and repair or replace it as you choose. If not covered, they might well repair it at reasonable cost. As they manufacture it, they may well be the best place skill wise to repair it. https://www.mountainhardwear.com/warranty

Thanks so much for your info and feedback. Maybe I shouldn't have called it a tear but more the stitching has come apart. The stitching right next to the zipper like a 1/4" from. So probably to close to the zipper for tape. Didn't think about getting hold of mountain hardwear, great suggestion thank you and thanks for the link. 4eyebuzzard..

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your probably better off using a repair tape then trying to have it sewed. I've had decent luck using Liquid Stitch to fix things in which sewing wasn't practical and to cover hole or tear with similar material. The place you tore a slit is in a high stress/ high wear area, which is why it tore.
    What's this liquid stitch stuff slo? Like a super glue for such material?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    What's this liquid stitch stuff slo? Like a super glue for such material?
    It's some kind of glue designed for fabrics. It's water proof once dry and produces a pretty strong bond. Found it in the sewing department at Walmart.

But if your problem is just the stitching along the zipper, anyone with a sewing machine can help you out. Know any old ladies? If you go to church, ask there and I'm sure you'll have them lined up to help.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh ok thanks, lol, yes I know some old ladies . I work in the school system so maybe 1 of the home education teachers could help, I mean food science department teachers they call it these days. ( whatever)! I think I'm gonna get ahold of mountain hardwear ..

Last edited by Traffic Jam; 01-07-2020 at 20:39.

++ New Posts ++