WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pawling, NY

Default Pawling, NY

Planning a section hike in the spring to end in Pawling. The plan is to take the Metro North train back to NYC, then to Philly and home. My question is how to clean up before boarding the train so as not to be offensive. I see there is a laundromat in Pawling where I could clean some clothes, but is anyone aware of somewhere to grab a quick shower? Thanks in advance.

Images

My question is how to clean up before boarding the train so as not to be offensive

as clean as you wanna be, i would imagine...

there are all sorts of characters on the metro north....

but, also, depending upon time of day and what day it is----there might be plenty of open rows of seats where there would be nobody near ya.....

Your last free shower will be at the Graymoor center (hope it's not a cold day, outdoor shower). That's only 41 miles from the road to Pawling. I guess you could take a bath in Nuclear Lake. (don't worry, they claim it's not radioactive anymore) Your only a few miles from US20 at that point.

Doesn't even look like there are any motel options in the immediate area either. After my shower at Graymoor, I don't think I had another until I stayed at a hostel midway through CT.

Clean clothes is the more important aspect.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I guess you could take a bath in Nuclear Lake. (don't worry, they claim it's not radioactive anymore) Your only a few miles from US20 at that point.
    Just to clarify - I believe that is a Dutchess County Route 20 (US 20 is what you cross in MA just north of the Mass. Pike).

Not much help on the shower, though - maybe someone needs to suggest that idea to the garden center (being right there where the trail crosses NY 22 just past the rail tracks) - couldn't be any worse off than the outdoor one mentioned just down the trail a couple days...

In '18 the nature center/garden had indoor and outdoor shower for a few bucks ($5 iirc). Its right near the train platform. I had shoes mailed to me there as well. I have heard that they have cut back on some of their hiker services though. Give them a call. Could be very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
    In '18 the nature center/garden had indoor and outdoor shower for a few bucks ($5 iirc). Its right near the train platform. I had shoes mailed to me there as well. I have heard that they have cut back on some of their hiker services though. Give them a call. Could be very convenient.
    Thanks Durwood. Looks like the Nature Center is now offering only an outdoor, clothes on, rinse only shower. With that and clean clothes I should be mostly human. Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended a hike there once, in August and after completing a 20 miles day. Nobody will care what you smell like. Make sure you plan to end on a weekend because it doesn't stop there mid week unless it is a major holiday.

I will catch the train from Pawling where there are more convenient departures. As far as people caring, the Metro North is one thing, the Amtrak from NYC to Philly is another. I'd like to not stink.

-

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    I will catch the train from Pawling where there are more convenient departures. As far as people caring, the Metro North is one thing, the Amtrak from NYC to Philly is another. I'd like to not stink.
    once you get on the amtrak you can wash in the bathroom, with a laundromat in pawling that should be enough

NYC to Philly isn't a long trip, what an hour, maybe 2? Plus you can always hang out in the café car. It's not like your stuck on a bus for 3 days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Edward R Murrow and Lakeside Parks, short walks from the Metro, have swimming/fishing lakes, showers and I believe it's EMP, that has free camping sites offered to ATers. I stayed at the camping site in 06 and used the showers and WARM shallowish beach area for a swim. I've also taken the Pawling Metro into and out from NYC in summer after/before hikes with no problem not having taken a shower. I do tend to maintain a hygiene standard above the common grundge badge worn my males though.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pawl...c4NWfly3Hw;mv:[[41.58312310019796,-73.58730887545778],[41.55563930768106,-73.65168189181522]]

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Thank you Dogwood much appreciated. Looks perfect.

Just to be clear for those who may not know. The Appalachian Trail train station is a whistlestop platform with weekend service only. It's a couple of miles north of Pawling's town center, so you'll need to walk south to get to the town and its parks. And its own train station.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

What dates are you planning? I'm working on a similar section hike for all of NY probably starting on April 3 or April 10.

Quote Originally Posted by robbym70 View Post
    What dates are you planning? I'm working on a similar section hike for all of NY probably starting on April 3 or April 10.
    My dates are not finalized but later. Early to mid-May probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++