WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

There are some great blogs 'out there' specific to LD hiking. My favorite is Beardoh and SweetPea's "Long Distance Hiker."

Link here to Beardoh's discussion of his and SweetPea's gear for PCT, but there is tons of good information if you thoroughly peruse this one blog.

The main thing is to get outside and do trips with whatever kit you have because, as others have said, you can't truly understand what YOU need and don't need based on someone else's experience. So many times, here and in other forums, we see folks stuck in "analysis paralysis" trying to dial in the perfect kit without ever having set foot on a trail, or never getting more than a few hours walking distance from their cars.

Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:
    All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out.

(Sorry.... double post after edit!)
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-15-2020 at 08:18.

Not sure how to respond because I don't know what message you're trying to convey with this.

Or maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get it.

Whatevs.

Beardoh sums it up nicely in his blog, from the link above, and I don't think I've ever seen it stated more succinctly:

All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out

That's the message of the song. Guess you didn't get the connection. I thought you'd enjoy it since you said what you said.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

All the above being said, I encourage/champion/condone hiking, camping and getting outside above all else…heavy pack, light pack, $25 tent, $1000 tent…whatever. Be outside on cold days, warm days, climb mountains in the rain, ford rivers in the heat, walk through deserts, plains, jungles, the dark green tunnel and below perfect blue Sierra skies – above all else…just get out

That ignores human nature — i.e. the powerful need to fit in and have the same stuff that the cool kids have — be it Kylie lip kits, or ultra light hiking kits.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are some great blogs 'out there' specific to LD hiking. My favorite is Beardoh and SweetPea's "Long Distance Hiker."

Link here to Beardoh's discussion of his and SweetPea's gear for PCT, but there is tons of good information if you thoroughly peruse this one blog.

The main thing is to get outside and do trips with whatever kit you have because, as others have said, you can't truly understand what YOU need and don't need based on someone else's experience. So many times, here and in other forums, we see folks stuck in "analysis paralysis" trying to dial in the perfect kit without ever having set foot on a trail, or never getting more than a few hours walking distance from their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybee View Post
    I appreciate that you all have taken the time to help me get my packing weight down. I am considering all of your suggestions and have begun to lighten my load little by little. I agree with Traveler that a 2-3 day shakedown hike will really help me identify what I don't need.
    Just an observation: There's no teacher like experience. But listening carefully to the experience of others and heeding their advice when it makes sense to do so (usually there will be some consensus in a group of experienced people) can sure make those first hand lessons less painful. I've seen new hikers struggle trying to pitch a tent for the first time in the wind and rain; trying to cook a meal having never practiced beforehand, shivering in the cold wind in the Whites without the proper clothing... I would always recommend hopeful thru-hikers get out a bit on a few shakedown hikes and see what gear they really need, what skills they need to master, and what works for them personally. It isn't one size fits all. And while there isn't as much discussion on camp skills as there is on gear itself, being able to efficiently and timely make and break camp, cook food, etc, in the woods takes some practice and some time to learn. And knowing how to do so will make the early part of a hike much more enjoyable rather than expending significant time and often frustration trying to learn those skills on the fly. But if you error, error on the side of too warm, too much food, too much water, too much gear. You can mail what you learn you don't need home after the first week. Overloaded in this day and age is still lighter than what we hiked with 30 years ago, and we all seemed to manage just fine. Don't lose sleep because someone says your pack is 5 lbs too heavy - you'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

That's the message of the song. Guess you didn't get the connection. I thought you'd enjoy it since you said what you said.
    OK thanks, but there's so much reverb on the vocals I couldn't understand the words at all! I'll have to look up the lyrics.

Speaking of songs related to this activity, Treeline (Bristlecone Music) may be of interest to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    ...be it Kylie lip kits, or ultra light hiking kits.
    Is this in gear lists now? Should I get one and update my lighterpack sheet? I haven't heard about these, do I need a spare one, how long do they last? Does it improve my aerodynamics? Is there an ultralight Kylie lip kit by some cottage company yet?

Heading to SNP Monday AM for a 3 day hike. Low-mid teens expected on mtn. 3 days food, alchohol fuel, no water, loaded, ready to carry pack weighs 20.2#. Tarp (polycro) w/guy lines. Zero deg Lithium bag. Cook kit under 1/2 pound. Tyvek ground cloth. Exped UL winter down mat, Mass Drop Crown X60 pack modified, at 2#. BW at 12#

Took me 40 years to get here. I remember the 50# expedition pack weights. Good luck.

Beware filters in Feb. Aquamira way to go and less weight.

2# food/day in winter is very real.

Tinybee, let's talk sometime. I'm in Glen Allen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Muskrat View Post
    Heading to SNP Monday AM for a 3 day hike. Low-mid teens expected on mtn. 3 days food, alchohol fuel, no water, loaded, ready to carry pack weighs 20.2#. Tarp (polycro) w/guy lines. Zero deg Lithium bag. Cook kit under 1/2 pound. Tyvek ground cloth. Exped UL winter down mat, Mass Drop Crown X60 pack modified, at 2#. BW at 12#
    Took me 40 years to get here. I remember the 50# expedition pack weights. Good luck.
    I wanna see that polycryo tarp, construction details such as how guy lines are attached. Very interested to hear how it performs for you. Clear packing tape is good for repairs!

And great job getting the weight down there. I remember the old days carrying 50-70lbs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I wanna see that polycryo tarp, construction details such as how guy lines are attached. Very interested to hear how it performs for you. Clear packing tape is good for repairs!
    I've never built one, but there's a great tutorial on one here https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...-a-frame-tarp/

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Muskrat View Post
    Beware filters in Feb. Aquamira way to go and less weight.
    Yeah after letting a couple sawyers freeze, I had to switch to aquamira in winter. You just have to keep them some place warm like jacket pocket or something . Guess I'm not as responsible as I thought.

Who wants to carry a wet filter inside your jacket in winter? Or inside a snug down bag? Been there, dun that.

I just use duct tape doubled over on the polycro edges and corners. Leave a couple inches hanging off and use stake directly thru to ground or thread guy lines thru middle end of tape. Use trek poles for height. I took a pic, but don't see how to post from phone.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++