Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
My doctor would not give me antibiotics either. You have time to get to town and see a doctor if you are sick.

The biggest health risk on the Trail is Lyme Disease.

I would highly recommend that everyone read up on this from multiple sources, as well as discuss with a Lyme-savy physician so as to have a plan of action ready should they discover an embedded tick. A tick should nothing to freak out over, but needs to be something everyone is ready to deal with.

IMO one’s plan should be formulated IN ADVANCE OF STEPPING ONE FOOT ON THE TRAIL, and consider the full range all reasonable scenarios.

If that plan includes a FAST prophylactic course of Doxy you may conclude a couple pills are something one should secure in advance. On the other hand, if you conclude that such a course of action would not be right for you, that is OK too. Just consider options now. If for no other reason than being confident in your decision when the time comes.

BUT I do think there is one REQUiRED element of a first aid kit:

Something better than tweezers on a leatherman micra or Swiss Army knife to remove ticks

I have dug some rather ugly holes to get out all the bits left after using tweezers (incorrectly?) but I had great results with “Tick Twister” after finding one in a particularly difficult and sensitive spot.

I also carry good tweezers, but will never be without one of those miracle devises — almost too good to be true (but this is based on a single experience using one, YMMV).