WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tinybee View Post
    That was my initial goal! How ever did I end up so far away? I will blame it on what if and just in case. LOL. Still, I will get this pack weight down to something more comfortable. Point taken about items I might need when it is not as cold and leaving them until later. In regards to the sun block, I don't wear it at all. I have an allergic reaction to it. Any suggestions to what I might use in place of the standard zinc oxide type sun screens? And I will examine the Rubbermaid container option as well. Thanks!
    Long pants, long sleeve shirt, hat. There's a lot of lightweight clothing made with synthetic sunblock fabrics available.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Long pants, long sleeve shirt, hat. There's a lot of lightweight clothing made with synthetic sunblock fabrics available.
    I’d emphasize a broad-brimmed hat. Being a Canuck, I favour a Tilley, the old T1. A ‘boonie’ is a good style for my liking.

Long pants and long sleeves. Always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate that you all have taken the time to help me get my packing weight down. I am considering all of your suggestions and have begun to lighten my load little by little. I agree with Traveler that a 2-3 day shakedown hike will really help me identify what I don't need.
    The Dahlonega Hiker Hostel under the previous management did bag checks for wt. I dont know if the new owners have someone on staff like Pilgrim that does it. They may help.

Mt Crossings at Neels Gap will do it too.

It helps to have someone who is familiar with lowering pack wt on the AT to assist rather than doing it alone as a Newbie or just from impersonal(not in person) online mash ups.

The biggest health risk on the Trail is Lyme Disease.

Not convinced until I see compared reliable stats with slips, trips and falls. I would say it's still slips, trips, and falls.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I think that if you get out and hike your kit will sort itself out.
    I agree. That's what tends to happen. Enlisting inquirer targeted input from others is good but yet to see any two people with the exact same kits and be in the exact same situation anywhere on the AT so there's a large degree of personalizing that only that individual can do as their job. So many take at face value the advice of others those taking the advice don't grasp that most advice is based on what someone else would or has done. Thruhiking entails a good measure of individuality and independent responsibility. Others can't do the thru hike for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The biggest health risk on the Trail is Lyme Disease.

Not convinced until I see compared reliable stats with slips, trips and falls. I would say it's still slips, trips, and falls.

Could be — and as such, a good reason why pole(s) are probably worth the weight for most people other than Lone Wolf.

My hyperbole was driven in part by just how much I valued the “Tick Twister” after getting one embedded in a spot that the OP doesn’t have to worry about.

Says the inventor of the "Tick Twister."

Thanks for that information JNI64. I simply assumed that in the winter I was safe from both bears and ticks.

You said it yet have not fully grasped what you said. Reducing pack wt is not always a finalized end goal. It is a process, an evolutionary journey...that sometimes people eternally obsess.
    Thanks Dogwood. That makes sense. I have definitely been obsessing over the "right" answers/gear.

Thanks mclaught. I am also seeing an allergist tomorrow.

I haven't read all the replies, so my apologies if this notion has been shared... Instead of asking how one can trim gear weight, I encourage you to think about how you can maxamize the notion of simplicity. Your spreadsheet is pretty cool and detailed, and I'm quite certain as a case could be made about why to bring every item you listed. But 50 pounds is a lot. How can you simplify to a lifestyle that is still safe and comfortable without weighing you into a grave.

Don't be a complete simpleton.

Garlic
    Images

Says the inventor of the "Tick Twister."
    First time I heard the term "tick tweezer" I burst out laughing. I love Spoonerisms, even quasi-Spoonerisms.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Don't be a complete simpleton.
    So we're clear, who were you directing this insult at?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    This was simply Dogwood making a pun, not making fun. Unless I’m the simpleton.

Hi everyone,

I am gearing up for my 2020 AT thru hike. I thought I could figure out this puzzle of what to take with me but in the process have become very frustrated. My issue is my pack weight. I am already at 52 lbs (food and water included). I am not sure where/what I should/can cut from my pack. Of course, in my opinion, I NEED everything on the list. Any suggestions on how to whittle this list down would be helpful. I will be starting the trail at the end of February and have tried to account for cold, snow and ice in my gear.

https://lighterpack.com/r/694if5
    Way too much clothes, IMHO. Do you really need two pairs of gloves and mittens? I can see one pair and mittens.
    Also, do you need two sleeping pads?
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    This was simply Dogwood making a pun, not making fun. Unless I’m the simpleton.
    Since I didn't get the pun, maybe not...

Last edited by Traffic Jam; 01-14-2020 at 20:19.

In the post right above the one where Dogwood uses the word "simpleton", the words "simplify" and "simplicity" were used. My guess is that's where TJ got the notion that it was probably a play on words. But I simply can't speak for either of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    No one specific named person It could definitely be construed that way so pardon my mistake in any any disconnect you experienced. I was vague. Previous poster said simplify things. I agree. It can be a good thing up to some personally acceptable degree. It was my way of adding and saying simplifying things is good but dont be an utter fool/ utterly foolish lacking in total judgement totally clueless or an utter simpleton. To thru the AT you eventually have to learn how to do somethings if you don't already know.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++