WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Georgia Section Hike

Hi All,

I am planning a Georgia section hike beginning around May 21 or 22. I plan to hike to begin at Amicalola SP and hike to the GA/NC border and then get a shuttle back to Amicalola SP. I am allotting for approx. 9 days. Would enjoy company.
    I am an average hiker, planning on approx 12-14 miles daily.

Mike

You won’t be catching a shuttle at the GA/NC border. It’s kind of in the middle of nowhere. Consider hiking on to Winding Stair Gap as a good option. That’s a major road with easy town access. It’s also a nice section to hike between there and the state line. Otherwise, you can turn back and retrace your steps to Dick’s Creek Gap.

If you hike 12-14 miles a day for 9 days, you should be able to make it to Franklin, NC, even with an overnight stay at Hiawassee for resupply. Although, it's probably less expensive to get a shuttle back to Amicalola from Hiawassee then Franklin.

But as noted above, it you want to tag the state line, you either hike to it and back to Dick's Creek, or keep going to the next road crossing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hiking north your first opportunity to get off trail will be at Deep Gap, about 7 miles into NC. But it’s an inconvenient place to get a shuttle.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

If you find a hiking partner just get them to park where y’all decide to stop at and drive yourselves back to the start

I agree with Slo-go'en. Shoot for Franklin!

FYI: You will meet up with people on the trail! There will be many people out at that point! Best to "saunter in" to the group you want to hike with rather than try to set something up ahead of time. Have fun!

Thanks for all of the input.

Mike

Ron Brown can pick you up at Blue Ridge Gap if you hike back to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Hiking north your first opportunity to get off trail will be at Deep Gap, about 7 miles into NC. But it’s an inconvenient place to get a shuttle.
    From Deep Gap take the Kimsey Creek Trail about 4 miles to Standing Indian Campground, excellent place to get picked up. That's where I ended my Georgia section several years ago.

++ New Posts ++