WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Last AT section 2020

Just received my AT 2020 hang tag and registered my last section. In six months from Saturday I’ll be starting my last section of the AT from Maine 27 to Katahdin. Still making gear decisions and have been hiking every other weekend. Hope to see both NOBOs and other section hikers out there. Hopefully the black fly season will have peaked by early July.

8CBDA92D-A5DC-48F0-9E61-4AFA2E3DCEB6.jpeg

I can't imagine the excitement of that looming over me! Congratulations on your journey thus far, and I hope your last section is everything you hope it will be and more!
    It is what it is.

Early congrats to you. Katahdin is such an amazing ending to the amazing AT journey/hike/experience you've been on.
    Finishing is (or was for me) "bitter-sweet", as I'm sure you can imagine. It's a breathtakingly beautiful, outstanding, and magical place (Katahdin / Baxter).
    I summited July 7th 2018. There was a pretty bad heat wave the week prior (mid to upper 90's with stacked on humidity), and then it dropped to 30 the night of the sixth. We walked over and climbed up ice on our way up Katahdin that brisk and clear July 7th morning.
    I hope you get great weather for you hike and summit.
    The sunrise at Antlers Campsite (I think that's Lower Jo Marry Lake) is amazing and worth the stay, and the Loons...
    You'll not be alone going through the hundred mile. There will be numerous groups (schools & 'summer camp' types), along with hikers of all sorts; but it is amazing and beautiful for sure. I had little to no issue with black flies, but the mosquitoes were pretty ridiculous at times. The sun is up pretty early that time of year, up there (in regards to seeing/watching it at Antlers).

willin'

Great spot to be in, but the anticipation must be killin ya

I hiked that section that time of year. Fourth of July in Monson is a good time, bag pipers, etc.

You can deal with the bugs, don't worry about it, not such an issue IMO.

Images

Best wishes on your section. I've seen hang tags the last few years on hikers on the section that I maintain in the Smokies. At first I assumed that they were attempting a thru hike. As a section hiker myself it never occurred to me that someone anticipating completion of the trail in sections would be carrying a tag. But this really makes sense.

Great accomplishment. So you've actually already hiked over 2000 miles. How long has it taken you to get to this point?

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Best wishes on your section. I've seen hang tags the last few years on hikers on the section that I maintain in the Smokies. At first I assumed that they were attempting a thru hike. As a section hiker myself it never occurred to me that someone anticipating completion of the trail in sections would be carrying a tag. But this really makes sense.

Great accomplishment. So you've actually already hiked over 2000 miles. How long has it taken you to get to this point?
    I started 6/18/16. I hiked from Harper's Ferry south, and Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Connecticut on weekends. I did New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Hanover-->Pinkham Notch, and Pinkham Notch to Stratton as week-two week hikes. Thank you.

++ New Posts ++