WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    You hike your hike. I’ll hike mine.
    Since a shuttle at HF is unacceptable to you, I assume you won’t start a thru hike until the bridge is rebuilt. I hope you don’t have to wait another 15 years until everything is perfect for your hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Since a shuttle at HF is unacceptable to you, I assume you won’t start a thru hike until the bridge is rebuilt. I hope you don’t have to wait another 15 years until everything is perfect for your hike.
    Road walks were the norm for decades — I recall taking one that was 20 miles long.

Taking a road walk is not Yellow blazing.

The issue is safety. The ATC need to address the safety issue in a way that does not require a yellow blaze (shuttle).

Continuity of the Trail is central to its identity. Passing through the picturesque town of Harpers Ferry (however nice that it may be) is not.

Images

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking ATC likely knows just a bit more about the big picture than what many here are speculating.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    You hike your hike. I’ll hike mine. Sorry mine doesn’t suit your needs. Best of luck to you on your 2020 thru.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Road walks were the norm for decades — I recall taking one that was 20 miles long.

Taking a road walk is not Yellow blazing.

The issue is safety. The ATC need to address the safety issue in a way that does not require a yellow blaze (shuttle).

Continuity of the Trail is central to its identity. Passing through the picturesque town of Harpers Ferry (however nice that it may be) is not.
    The road walk is not a option, Far to dangerous ! I wonder how difficult it would be to install a locked gate on the Hf side and install a locked gate where it's safe to use the walk bridge again? And have someone unlock these gates when they know no trains would be coming. Just thinking out loud.

As a matter fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is not road signs put in place soon stating no pedestrian walking on 340. You'd be going from wv, through va, and into md. In this short couple miles. (3 state challenge) lol. But if they decide to this they'll be watching and issuing tickets, just to keep someone from getting hurt or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking ATC likely knows just a bit more about the big picture than what many here are speculating.
    Agree and it's been long enough they really should come out with some sort of statement.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Agree and it's been long enough they really should come out with some sort of statement.
    I agree, this statement was no different than their original. They should be notifying their membership with some facts monthly.

Journal Entries
    Images

The road walk is not a option, Far to dangerous ! I wonder how difficult it would be to install a locked gate on the Hf side and install a locked gate where it's safe to use the walk bridge again? And have someone unlock these gates when they know no trains would be coming. Just thinking out loud.
    Which is why the ATC needs to get out in front of this now.

They don’t have the luxury of waiting until someone is hurt or killed.

You make a persuasive case about the dangers of walking on that road, however I expect that you may not have investigated the possibility of a parallel pathway outside of the guardrail, or all possible alternative temporary reroutes. Or all the other options that respect the continuity of a passable from Maine to Georgia in an unbroken line without yellow blazing. The ATC needs to do this.

A shuttle is not a good option — and thinking that it is a safe temporary solution is ignoring human nature. It does not matter if it drops you off on the other side or if you can debarked the shuttle and back track to the other side. Continuity is important to many thru hikes and to the trail itself.

In the early 80’s the ATC went to great expense to establish a Ferry (canoe w guide) over the Kennebec after a thru hiker drowned. They did this because they understood that human nature being what it is, many hikers would not wait or call for a boat.

No way of knowing if this commitment saved lives, but a lot of people think it did. Most everyone agrees that traveling in canoe over the AT is a compatible with the essence of a thru hike. It was a wise decision.

The ATC needs to do something now — beyond suggesting a yellow blaze — before there is another tragedy.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I’ll be damned if I waited 15 years to thru hike and end up taking a yellow blaze? Not going to happen.
    The bridge reroute might not be your only alternate route. After starting on GA 5 months prior in 2011 I had to take my first blue blaze, a high water alternate route in Baxter SP when Hurricane Irene dumped 10" of rain.

Then there's reroute when they close sections of the trail due to fires. And the HF bridge in the past has occasionally been closed due to high water.

Dealing with these issues is all part of a Thru-hike.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I’ll be damned if I waited 15 years to thru hike and end up taking a yellow blaze? Not going to happen.
    guess you'll have to wait a year or two more

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    A yellow blaze is when you get in a motor vehicle to advance down the AT.

Walking around an impassable/closed section is not a “yellow blaze” even if you do so on a roadway.

That can be done as of today — albeit not in a safe way. That is why the ATC is not recommending that individual choice.

You are to be commended for your concern for Tabasco’s safety, however.

The ATC needs to do something quickly to help insure he and others have a safe alternative which allow them to traverse the AT from Maine to Georgia in an unbroken line.

That has been central to their mission for decades.

Which is why the ATC needs to get out in front of this now.
    You make a persuasive case about the dangers of walking on that road, however I expect that you may not have investigated the possibility of a parallel pathway outside of the guardrail, or all possible alternative temporary reroutes. Or all the other options that respect the continuity of a passable from Maine to Georgia in an unbroken line without yellow blazing. The ATC needs to do this.

The ATC needs to do something now — beyond suggesting a yellow blaze — before there is another tragedy.
    Use Google Earth street view to "walk" the 340 and you'll see the problem. Making a parallel walkway does not look to be practical, besides the fact you'd need 3 different state's DOT to work on the project. It would be a major disruption of traffic while the work was being done and that would likely kill the idea right there.

The real kicker looks to be the Sandy Hook bridge. It's hard to tell for sure, but it doesn't look like there is a pedestrian walkway across that bridge and it's barely wide enough for cars to pass each other without taking out the side view mirrors.

The only other bridges across the river are a long way off and the roads they are on head in the wrong direction. It would be an insanely long detour.

While there might be a few people who would be upset about not being able to walk across the river, I'm sure the vast majority will have no ethical problem with the shuttle.

I did the 20 mile Cumberland valley road walk back in the day. It was actually a pleasant walk along shady rural roads with little or no traffic. Which apparently is no longer the case, one of the reasons the route was moved to the farm fields.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Use Google Earth street view to "walk" the 340 and you'll see the problem. Making a parallel walkway does not look to be practical, besides the fact you'd need 3 different state's DOT to work on the project. It would be a major disruption of traffic while the work was being done and that would likely kill the idea right there.

The real kicker looks to be the Sandy Hook bridge. It's hard to tell for sure, but it doesn't look like there is a pedestrian walkway across that bridge and it's barely wide enough for cars to pass each other without taking out the side view mirrors.

In an earlier post I linked a photo of the bridge. To my eye it looks like there is a clear and obvious pathway that is separated from lane of traffic by a Jersey Barrier.

i stand and to be corrected on that, as I have not made any direct observation.

In an earlier post I linked a photo of the bridge. To my eye it looks like there is a clear and obvious pathway that is separated from lane of traffic by a Jersey Barrier.

i stand and to be corrected on that, as I have not made any direct observation.
    The sandy hook bridge itself would be the safest part of this walk. There's room between the jerseys and the rail.

How good a swimmer are ya!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    That’s where you would be wrong.

Images

A yellow blaze is when you get in a motor vehicle to advance down the AT.

Walking around an impassable/closed section is not a “yellow blaze” even if you do so on a roadway.

That can be done as of today — albeit not in a safe way. That is why the ATC is not recommending that individual choice.

You are to be commended for your concern for Tabasco’s safety, however.

The ATC needs to do something quickly to help insure he and others have a safe alternative which allow them to traverse the AT from Maine to Georgia in an unbroken line.

That has been central to their mission for decades.

Rick gets it. I’m not worried about a road walk. But I will not be riding in a car to advance on the trail. They have got 4 months to figure it out, otherwise I will figure it out myself when I get there. Improvidus, Apto, Quod Victum.

The sandy hook bridge itself would be the safest part of this walk. There's room between the jerseys and the rail.
    Okay, that wasn't clear from street view. It looked like the barriers were right up against the cast iron railings. Couldn't get good close up view from above.

If your going to do this road walk, I'd suggest doing it at 3AM on a Sunday morning.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Okay, that wasn't clear from street view. It looked like the barriers were right up against the cast iron railings. Couldn't get good close up view from above.

If your going to do this road walk, I'd suggest doing it at 3AM on a Sunday morning.
    Friday afternoon in the summer is probably good as traffic is moving about 5mph into HF, unless I have been unlucky the times I drove there.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++