WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

The video was shot 1/23/20. On the NPS website is a 1/17/20 update on the bridge.

“Update as of January 17, 2020

The National Park Service (NPS) is working with CSX to determine the steps required to assess, fund and repair the pedestrian footbridge across the Potomac River at Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. The timeline for re-opening the footbridge is unknown at this time. We will continue to provide updates as we know more.”

https://www.nps.gov/hafe/planyourvis...er-21-2019.htm

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I think the money quotes in the WaPo story are:

The National Park Service and CSX are planning to provide a shuttle service that would transport hikers and visitors around the footbridge closure until repairs can be completed, agency and company officials said.

“The time-frame for the bridge to reopen remains uncertain,” Cook said, adding that NPS is discussing options for repairs and assessing the rebuilding of the footbridge. “We understand that access to the footbridge is important to hikers and visitors to the area, and are working to reduce the inconvenience.”

CSX said in a statement that it is working with the National Park Service and is committed to covering the cost of the bridge reconstruction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I think the money quotes in the WaPo story are:

ha.....

after reading chknfngrs link-------that's exactly what i thought was the most important part of the article.....

Since the NPS will provide a shuttle until the bridge is rebuilt, the shuttle temporarily becomes an official part of the trail, analogous to the canoe ferry at the Kennebec River.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Since the NPS will provide a shuttle until the bridge is rebuilt, the shuttle temporarily becomes an official part of the trail, analogous to the canoe ferry at the Kennebec River.
    Gee. That was easy-ish. Let the hiking begin!

Journal Entries
    Images

Not the ATC’s call.

They administer the Trail, which was created and defined by an act of Congress. The AT is about the land (as will be argued in the Supreme Court on Monday, not about conveyance). The ferry carries hikers over the AT as it crosses t h Kennebec, but is not part of the AT.

That said, a thru hiker who misses 100 yards of Trail is doing better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not the ATC’s call.

They administer the Trail, which was created and defined by an act of Congress. The AT is about the land (as will be argued in the Supreme Court on Monday, not about conveyance). The ferry carries hikers over the AT as it crosses t h Kennebec, but is not part of the AT.

That said, a thru hiker who misses 100 yards of Trail is doing better than most.
    The NPS, not the ATC, will provide the shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not the ATC’s call.

They're not missing anything it is an official reroute. To say otherwise is diminishing their hike. You want to put an asterisk next to every hikers name when there is some uncontrollable natural or man made disaster outside of their control?

Don't slip unrelated politics in again either.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The NPS, not the ATC, will provide the shuttle.
    Shuttles to weaverton or sandy hook rd right across the Hf bridge?

Is it raining yet?
    Images

So what's the over/under for the government to fix a walkway where CSX took 2 weeks to fix the much larger RR portion.

I'm going with 3 years.
    Be Prepared

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The shuttle bus will only be part of the official AT if they paint a white blaze on the floor
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The wife and I went to Harper's Ferry this morning (2/29/2020) to A) see the bridge and B) to shop. Not much open at 11 am other than the outfitter, the candy store, the bakery and a jewelry store. I did get some pictures that I've attached:

The first photo damage looked like just facing brick. Underlying concrete wasn't badly damaged from what I could see.

IMG_0148.JPGIMG_0149.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0151.JPGIMG_0152.JPGIMG_0153.JPG

No evidence of repair work except "maybe" the white pipe that crosses the bridge. We did go around to where the CSX had their equipment that was fenced off. All I saw were wooden railroad ties and what may have been some 1" x ?? boards that have been there a long time. Nothing looked recent.

In talking with the few shopkeepers, their responses were all pretty bleak on when the repairs would be done. Best comment was late summer. We even talked with the Park Ranger at the info center in the National Park and he was not very open about anything concerning the bridge. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised!

Scott

Wonder how many shuttles there will be this summer with corona virus concerns? How tough would a Kennebec style canoe ferry be?

Images

Very tough. Apples and oranges.

Maybe this would work in the interim? Probably lots of legal issues, but Corp of Engineers could probably throw one up in week or so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_bridge

Interesting thought, though without a compelling national interest, I doubt the COE would construct a bridge at the site for a relatively small number of people to walk across the river.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Interesting thought, though without a compelling national interest, I doubt the COE would construct a bridge at the site for a relatively small number of people to walk across the river.

yup....

the cost of a temporary bridge surpasses the the usage factor.......

Images

Yeah, as much as AT and local hikers and local tourist businesses might miss the bridge, it doesn't serve an essential economic/transportation purpose, as it's purely for recreation. One could argue the economic loss in tourism revenue to businesses and the town, but I don't think that argument wins many votes outside the city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Oh my how quickly things can change, 1 min this all we could talk about. Now not so much a precinct eh?
    I guess any shuttle service has been canceled for the duration.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++