WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    ^^^that, but if you want a point of reference, here's my new MLD Solomid XL and my friend's new Nemo Kunai(he will be out in these conditions regularly, 40+mph winds and whatnot, while they're a rarity for me).
    The Solomid is just a tarp, while the Kunai is a double wall 4 season tent.
    We both had thermometers attached to our packs, which were inside our respective shelters. Shortly after making camp, his read 28F, while mine read 20F.
    Attachment 45973
    Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Not enough difference for me to change any clothing or equipment.

thom
    Indeed.

The comparisons are so subjective and ignore so many variables as to be practically meaningless. The main thing is to block the wind and reduce the movement of air inside the tent. If the lower edges of tarps/pyramids are adequately covered to accomplish this, they can be pretty warm, or at least warm enough.

Duomid with snow around perimeter_edited-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Indeed.

The comparisons are so subjective and ignore so many variables as to be practically meaningless. The main thing is to block the wind and reduce the movement of air inside the tent. If the lower edges of tarps/pyramids are adequately covered to accomplish this, they can be pretty warm, or at least warm enough.

Duomid with snow around perimeter_edited-1.jpg
    You pic reminds me of the winter I spent in a Chouinard Pyramid tipi tent back in 1986. It looked something like this---(not my picture)---

1270412680_23487.jpg

These tipi tents were designed by Chouinard as mountain bivouac tents and worked best with snow placed all along the bottom perimeter---thereby reducing spindrift and blown-in cold wind. Without this snow layer the Pyramid got drafty inside and in big blows would lift off the ground like an umbrella and want to take flight. I remember one night on an open bald when I had to spend all night holding the thing down to the ground. And then there's dripping condensation . . . and if the tipi is too small like the Pyramid your sleeping bag footbox will touch the wet fabric wall of the tent.

More pics here---

http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacki...-pyramid-tent/

Full discussion here---

https://intotheoutdoors.wordpress.co...-of-a-pyramid/

A couple years ago I was pulling a March trip and stumbled on this camp of college kids with their Black Diamond Mega Mids---same as Chouinards but different company---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++