WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Week Long Winter Section

Hello,

I'm looking for a one week long section of the AZT to do in January or February. I would like the section to meet the following:

1. To see both the desert and mountainous portions of the AZT
    2. I can get to the start and end by a short shuttle service, < $100 preferably
    3. Should be about 130 miles long, so I can finish it in a week
    4. Doesn't drop below 15 F at night
    5. Doesn't require any technical skills

I've seen the following sections mentioned: Start to Tuscon, Oracle to the Superstitions, Supersitions to White Rock.

Would appreciate any advice, sections, etc.

Thanks,
    J-M

Images

I, too, am looking at a section starting in late January; tentatively looking at starting at Oracle, hiking north through the Superstitions, ending maybe at Highway 87. This is about 180 miles, so for me, more like 11 days or so.

I like this section because it looks to have good access to/from the Phoenix airport, and fares on SW air are dirt cheap on weekdays, $89 each way from Denver, maybe there are some great deals from Miami as well (or other FL airports). But mostly I like this section because of good reports online, plus the trail stays fairly low so the weather should stay relatively temperate, though I'm sure there is some significant weather and cold potential.

If you decide to start at Oracle and do something, and the timing works, maybe, just maybe we could share a shuttle to there from the Phoenix airport. I have sent a price request to a shuttle service.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I, too, am looking at a section starting in late January; tentatively looking at starting at Oracle, hiking north through the Superstitions, ending maybe at Highway 87. This is about 180 miles, so for me, more like 11 days or so.
    I thought you were going to Florida. Gave up on that idea? Wise choice if you did.

I've read a few Florida trail journals and those convinced me not to even think about the FT. Plus the weekend I spent in the Ocala NF. It was like walking in giant sand pit, with no shade and really foul tasting water at the campsites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I thought you were going to Florida. Gave up on that idea? Wise choice if you did.

I've read a few Florida trail journals and those convinced me not to even think about the FT. Plus the weekend I spent in the Ocala NF. It was like walking in giant sand pit, with no shade and really foul tasting water at the campsites.
    Yikes, sounds nasty, but no, still going to FL, Jan 5-24, maybe the AZT from ~Jan 28-Feb ??, this still TBD. Maybe I SHOULD rethink the FT thing, thanks for the heads up.

But the idea here, is in these winter months, to get a "taste" of the FT and AZT, probably the only sections I'll ever do of either, just a sample.

Garlic
    Images

Miller Pk near the border may be a tough hike depending on snow conditions. Same with Mt Mica in Saguaro NP.

Between Oracle and Hwy 87 at Sunflower (Passage 22) would include lower desert mountains, with good road access to Tuscon and Phoenix. Hwy 60 near Globe (Picketpost TH, Passage 17) is excellent road access as well. My first hike on the AZT was a nice one from Hwy 60 to Hwy 87, almost 100 miles as I recall. Easy shuttle pickups.

If you start at Oracle, do you have plans for making water caches? That can be a very dry section.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Miller Pk near the border may be a tough hike depending on snow conditions. Same with Mt Mica in Saguaro NP.

Between Oracle and Hwy 87 at Sunflower (Passage 22) would include lower desert mountains, with good road access to Tuscon and Phoenix. Hwy 60 near Globe (Picketpost TH, Passage 17) is excellent road access as well. My first hike on the AZT was a nice one from Hwy 60 to Hwy 87, almost 100 miles as I recall. Easy shuttle pickups.

If you start at Oracle, do you have plans for making water caches? That can be a very dry section.
    Thanks for the great info and water tip, Garlic.

++ New Posts ++