WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tipi, do you carry any kind of GPS tracker or beacon? I never considered carrying one until the last couple of years. I hiked from Reliance to Davenport Gap on the BMT and didn't run into another backpacker until I got into the GSMNP. There were days when I thought if something happened to me how long would it be until someone would come by?
    More walking, less talking.

I always enjoy your hiker reports. It’s nice to know you can have that solitude for 18 days and that the trail systems aren’t overused.

Have always thought pictures on your trip reports were good, but these are my hands down favorites. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Another great trip report ! Appreciate the pics and clothing/gear/footwear recommendations. When u have a chance, would love to see your latest clothing listing, you posted it a while back here, curious what you're using now.

Defcon 1
    Defcon 2
    Defcon 3

TIA and happy trails!
    Sorry for the delay in responding---just got back from a Jan/Feb trip. Here's my current clothing setup---

Defcon 1---boots, smartwool mountaineer socks. Bare legs and North Face shorts (patagonia underwear). Tops---long sleeve silk baselayer under poly t-shirt.
    Defcon 2--- Same setup with shorts but tops include smartwool zipneck merinos---two sandwiched together.
    Defcon 3---Adding a Patagonia thermal capilene hoody over the merino tops---in effect using 5 layers for tops. Rain jacket over all these when really cold. Oh and shorts over my merino leggings. Or rain pants over leggings if really cold. And of course a Turtle Fur hat with the Patagonia hood.

Defcon 4---Down vest rarely used if super cold when moving. Otherwise Defcon 4 would be the down vest used in camp along with a pair of down pants.
    Defcon 5---Down vest under down parka with down pants. ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I'm curious about you're carrying for your dayhikes. If the bulk of your 90 lbs of food and gear is at your base camp, are you concerned about getting lost/injured or otherwise separated from your gear?
    I rarely dayhike away from camp on my trips---mainly because of mammals coming into an empty camp and destroying gear. But when I do leave camp I make sure all my food is hung properly ("well-hung")---and the tent zipped up tight. My dayhikes are generally of two kinds---distant water runs to get water using my pack's lid as a daypack to haul water---and trailworking dayhikes to leave camp and clear a trail near camp.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Maybe you should get some pants!
    I've been curious for awhile now about whether anyone else runs warmer as they age, but it doesn't seem to be the case. 'Course I'm not 50 yet, but keep running, particularly sleeping, hotter and hotter over the last several years, even noticeably more so in the past few months.
    That's saying a lot, considering I was much warmer than average to begin with. People would probably have a hard time believing how little insulation I need for a given temp, it's such a huge difference from "normal".
    But I see you guys that wear shorts in cold weather, some even wearing a puffy while hiking in shorts, and don't see how you do it. They don't have to be thick pants, but even when just wearing a t-shirt up top at 40F...I gotta have pants!

18 days of total solitude is just plain awesome.
    It's funny but when I'm moving under load my bare legs rarely feel the cold and I'm generating a tremendous amount of heat---most esp when humping a super heavy pack. The hardest part of winter backpacking is packing up in the morning, esp if you need to leave camp in minimal layers and not stop 10 minutes down the trail to remove boots and leggings etc. Older age makes this cold shove off alot more difficult, hence the hot hands packets put in the mittens/gloves etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The gimp3 View Post
    Wish more people would post things like this. Instead of bellyaching about everything.
    Thanks for the comment. Cyber-Hiking has its place IF it's separated by long periods of outdoor time. And I'm an expert in bellyaching about everything except I do it on my trips in my Trail Journals.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Tipi, do you carry any kind of GPS tracker or beacon? I never considered carrying one until the last couple of years. I hiked from Reliance to Davenport Gap on the BMT and didn't run into another backpacker until I got into the GSMNP. There were days when I thought if something happened to me how long would it be until someone would come by?
    That section of the BMT is remote and empty except for a few dayhikers here and there. I don't carry any kind of GPS as electronics tend to go bonkers in the rain and the cold etc. Paper maps are my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I always enjoy your hiker reports. It’s nice to know you can have that solitude for 18 days and that the trail systems aren’t overused.
    Yes, I just got back from a 21 day winter trip and didn't see a single backpacker the whole time (except for the one I invited at the beginning)---and I was on the BMT for the first 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Have always thought pictures on your trip reports were good, but these are my hands down favorites. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
    Thanks for the positive input.

Thanks for sharing your Defcon 1-5 clothing list, very much enjoy reading your trip reports and "lessons learned" ! Very much appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++