Thread: Which routes?

Default Which routes?

I am gonna be attempting a FT thru hike beginning next week. I have read alot on the FTA and Florida Hikes websites. Also, have Guthooks app. Would like to get some opinions on a couple of things from those that have done this.

Which route around Lake O would you take and why? And why not the other route you wouldn't take? Or is it just a personal preference?

Same questions about the alternate routes around Orlando. It looks like there is a huge roadwalk on the western route and that may be a good reason to take the eastern corridor.

Thanks. Any feedback would be great.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My friend Stumpknocker always uses the western route since he lives on the western side of Fla. Go to Trailjournals and he has several hikes of the FT you can read.

Dale Sanders (Greybeard) did the Florida Trail this year. In case you don't know Dale, he holds the record for the oldest hiker to do an AT thru-hike. I'm sure he would be more than willing to give you some pointers. He has a Facebook page.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I went East for both options. As I recall east around Lake Okeechobee is more populated. I believe east around Orlando has fewer road walks as you already surmised.

More than anything it’s personal preference.

Lots of options to thru hike the FL Trail.

I did a 180 mile approach trail to the actual beginning of the FL Trail the first time by starting at Key West. That was interesting and I liked it, but wouldn't do that again.

Was told by people who have done both sides of the Big O to definitely take the western route...so I can't give an informed answer on this one since I've always gone west here.
    That was great the first couple times, then the Army Corp of Engineers had lots of it closed down.
    I believe that I heard the west side is mostly, or all open again.

I took the eastern corridor towards Orlando the first time and it was fine.
    I've always taken the western corridor after that and enjoy it more, but I do get to stop by home for a day or two since I live near there.
    Twenty miles into your long road walk on the western side is a KFC.
    It is a long road walk, but you really get into some great hiking in Green Swamp (mostly dry) and Withlacoochee Forest.

Another decision is at the northern end.
    You can go to Ft Pickens and finish on the coast or go to Alabama and finish in the woods.
    I've done both a couple times and much prefer finishing in the woods at the Alabama border.
    A great option now that I've done both would be to walk to Alabama through Blackwater Forest, back track through Blackwater Forest and go to Ft Pickens.
    I would choose that double finish option if I knew I was only going to walk the FL Trail once.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Thanks guys for the info. I have hiked in the Withlacoochee before and yes it was good. The green swamp sounds good and the Cross Florida Greenway also. Question about the roadwalk western corridor. I'm guessing there are motels along the way or did you do some stealth camping?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++