Default Hammock Camping Florida Trail?

Hi- I'm gonna do this trail in January. I don't have my trusty tent that served me so well on the AT. I do have an ENO double nest hammock with the tarp, screen, and straps. Got it new and cheap from someone who only used it a couple of times. Its all together on the heavy side plus I'll need an under quilt or something else for warmth. I plan to buy lighter straps as well since they seem to add the most weight to the system.
    Question is- before I invest more $ in this system- is hammock camping a good idea on this trail? Some have said yes and some no. I really don't mind a night or two of not being able to hang, but if it is a continuous problem I would break down and buy a tent.

Have you spent multiple nights in it? I would suggest being comfortable in a hammock would be the biggest concern before spending to upgrade. If you're okay with it, other than the swampiest sections, you should be able to find a hang spot.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Have you spent multiple nights in it? I would suggest being comfortable in a hammock would be the biggest concern before spending to upgrade. If you're okay with it, other than the swampiest sections, you should be able to find a hang spot.
    I have slept in my backyard in it multiple nights. I really like sleeping in it better than on the air mattress- but miss the space in the tent. Weighing the importance- I opt for sleep. Thanks- its encouraging to hear I should be ok. The videos I have seen seem to indicate that as well,

I've always used a tent along the FL Trail and really haven't paid much attention to places for a hammock. I think you might be okay hanging a hammock most nights.

The canals in south FL might be the hardest to find a place.

The designated camps along the Big O usually have a small structure with a roof and a couple palm trees nearby, so you would probably be okay there.

Might also be a little harder if you finish at Ft Pickens, but plenty of hang spots if you finish at Alabama.

I've only taken the eastern corridor once about 15 years ago. Nothing comes to mind as being hard to hang there.
    The western corridor would not be a problem.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Why not bring a ccf pad such as Zlite Incase you have to go to ground...depending on our winter the ccf may be enough wo an under quilt but yea a pad isn’t optimal in a hammock but some use them instead of UQ.....Im a fairly new hammock lover....if it wasn’t for bring my mutts I’d alway hang, as I sleep so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the last minute, I decided to get a tent. I’m not 100% confident with the hammock plus it was on the heavy side. I might swap them up in ONF and try the hammock for a few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    At the last minute, I decided to get a tent. I’m not 100% confident with the hammock plus it was on the heavy side. I might swap them up in ONF and try the hammock for a few hundred miles.
    It's been a very long time since I spent a weekend in ONF, but I remember the trees were very short (they may have grown up since) and the campgrounds were wide open and set up for car campers/RV's. The water from the handpumps was warm and tasted like salt. When your used to NH spring water, that was very unpleasant.

Your probably better off sticking with the tent.

I also discovered that's where all the nice white sand box sand must come from. The trails were all white sand. It was like walking on the beach without the benefit of the ocean next to you. Did I mention the trees were short? No shade too. I may have just picked a bad part of the ONF to hike in.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++