WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Clothing list for AT NOBO hike starting Feb 11

Here is what I am thinking of taking at the start in the colder weather. My thoughts are if I get wet I would put wet clothes back on, but it would be nice to have 2 sets to wear, plus something dry to sleep in. Especially, early on in Feb/Mar. I do worry because this is a fair amount of weight. Total is 8.11 lbs. but I would be wearing at least 2.5 lbs of it or more if cold or wet.

Any suggestions, is his crazy heavy or about right for a February start?

lightweight puffy
    lightweight fleece
    froggtoggs pants and jacket
    rain mitten covers
    mitten gloves
    lightweight glove liners
    long johns mid wt wool will sleep in these when cold
    2 pair of pants that can zip off
    3 long sleeve lt wt wool shirts, (one is for sleeping)
    1 short sleeve synthetic shirt
    flannel hat
    short buff
    balaclava
    3pair wool socks
    sunglasses

If I were starting Feb 11 Nobo.

I would have on top.

long sleeve wool hiking shirt
    long sleeve wool sleeping shirt
    Patagonia R1 Hoody
    Montbell Wind Shirt
    Montbell Alpine Down Parka
    9oz Rain Jacket. Lightweight hardshell type

On the bottom.

Long bottoms synthetic to hike in
    Long bottoms wool to sleep in
    Running shorts
    Rain pants
    Probably 3x hiking socks
    Either down socks or possum down for sleep

On my hands.

Glove liners
    Rain Mitts
    I'd even consider some midlayer gloves

On my head.

BlackRock wooly to hike in
    BlackRock down beanie to sleep in
    Wool Buff

I'd even consider packing a DCF poncho along as well. Or an umbrella.

I'd also be in my Xtherm and Have a 10* bag in a tent.

I hate the cold and wet.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I am taking a tarp/poncho as extra rain protection/options and as pack cover.

so you only have one set of hiking clothes, or do you figure to hike in the running short a lot? I pretty much zip off the bottoms when it warms up to 40F.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    I am taking a tarp/poncho as extra rain protection/options and as pack cover.

so you only have one set of hiking clothes, or do you figure to hike in the running short a lot? I pretty much zip off the bottoms when it warms up to 40F.
    I'd be hiking in the lightweight leggings and running shorts. Or running shorts alone. Or possibly freeballing in the rain pants. Or running shorts and rain pants. Or long johns and rain pants if it was really cold and wet.

In the end. Id have my seperate dry wool long bottoms for camp as well

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    If I were starting Feb 11 Nobo.

I would have on top.

long sleeve wool hiking shirt
    long sleeve wool sleeping shirt
    Patagonia R1 Hoody
    Montbell Wind Shirt
    Montbell Alpine Down Parka
    9oz Rain Jacket. Lightweight hardshell type

On the bottom.

Long bottoms synthetic to hike in
    Long bottoms wool to sleep in
    Running shorts
    Rain pants
    Probably 3x hiking socks
    Either down socks or possum down for sleep

On my hands.

Glove liners
    Rain Mitts
    I'd even consider some midlayer gloves

On my head.

BlackRock wooly to hike in
    BlackRock down beanie to sleep in
    Wool Buff

I'd even consider packing a DCF poncho along as well. Or an umbrella.

I'd also be in my Xtherm and Have a 10* bag in a tent.

I hate the cold and wet.

I'm starting March 17th and this is very close to my gear list, including an umbrella. I have a BlackRock down beanie, but I'm bringing a Goosefeet Gear down balaclava for sleeping (in a hammock).

I hate being cold and wet too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I'm starting March 17th and this is very close to my gear list, including an umbrella. I have a BlackRock down beanie, but I'm bringing a Goosefeet Gear down balaclava for sleeping (in a hammock).

I hate being cold and wet too.
    My list may slightly be overkill for March 17th. Probably could go without the two bottoms baselayers. And go with a lighter puffy.

I can only imagine how cold and wet it gets in February lol. Even beginning of April the temps can drop. I think my first night on trail April 4th was low 20s.

Leonidas

Heading NOBO March 8th, granted only for a week. Walking with a friend that is attempting a thru this year. If I were continuing north, I doubt anything would change drastically.

This is what I am currently taking. https://lighterpack.com/r/ex1ucw
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    My list may slightly be overkill for March 17th. Probably could go without the two bottoms baselayers. And go with a lighter puffy.

I can only imagine how cold and wet it gets in February lol. Even beginning of April the temps can drop. I think my first night on trail April 4th was low 20s.

You're probably right. My biggest concern is staying warm at night, not while moving. I think I will end up using Phase SL leggings and Cap Cool Trail L/S instead of the Smartwool 250s while active.

One of my favorite pieces of gear I use in cold weather is a cheap 100 wt fleece pullover. Typically a department store brand, like from WalMart. Great in damp and wet weather. I don't even care if it gets ember burns while hanging out around the camp fire.

not much feedback yet, but I think i'm convinced to drop one set of clothes. that saves me over 28 oz unless I keep the socks. then 25 oz.

not much feedback yet, but I think i'm convinced to drop one set of clothes. that saves me over 28 oz unless I keep the socks. then 25 oz.
    I am going to send those clothes to me in a bounce box in case I decide I really do want them. if not after a few bounces they can go home with other gear.

If you have two sets of hiking clothes, guess what? You'll have two sets of wet hiking clothes.

One pair of pants is sufficient. I would add long gaiters though. Keeping the bottoms of the pant legs dry and free of mud helps a whole lot, plus they keep your lower legs warm. The rest of you will stay warm enough hiking. I don't wear much even in pretty cold temps. It reduces the amount of sweating, which is something you want to try and avoid.

You do need a good breathable shell though. Keep the heat in and let the moisture out. Froggtoggs are actually pretty good in that regard, but they don't last long. It takes very little to start shredding them.

Also, get a dry bag to put your wet or damp hiking clothes in at night. If there is a risk of them freezing, you can put the bag of clothes into your sleeping bag to keep warm.

And rule #1 is : Never leave camp in your sleeping clothes. It's not fun to put on damp/wet and cold clothes on, but you'll warm up soon enough and you don't want to risk having two sets of wet clothes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

No matter what you bring/wear clothing wise, you will sometimes (maybe even often) be cold and wet especially with a late winter start. It's a cold and wet environment. Which is why you ALWAYS need to keep any camp/sleep clothes (socks, top and bottom fleece or base layers, sleep cap, etc.) and your sleeping bag as dry as possible. But misery loves company. Everyone else out there that early in the season will be dealing with it too. If it gets too bad, you bail to town, warm up, and dry everything out.

Don't forget to put your sleeping bag in a drier as often as possible!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Here is what I am thinking of taking at the start in the colder weather. My thoughts are if I get wet I would put wet clothes back on, but it would be nice to have 2 sets to wear, plus something dry to sleep in. Especially, early on in Feb/Mar. I do worry because this is a fair amount of weight. Total is 8.11 lbs. but I would be wearing at least 2.5 lbs of it or more if cold or wet.

Any suggestions, is his crazy heavy or about right for a February start?

lightweight puffy
    lightweight fleece
    froggtoggs pants and jacket
    rain mitten covers
    mitten gloves
    lightweight glove liners
    long johns mid wt wool will sleep in these when cold
    2 pair of pants that can zip off
    3 long sleeve lt wt wool shirts, (one is for sleeping)
    1 short sleeve synthetic shirt
    flannel hat
    short buff
    balaclava
    3pair wool socks
    sunglasses
    Honestly you probably have too much.
    I’m also kinda bothered by how unspecific you are. What puffy? What fleece? What wool layers? There are ounces here that matter.

You have three different wool shirts AND a wool shirt to sleep in? What are you thinking? A different shirt for every day? Man, you’re going to be a filthy wreck, a walking hazmat site. Drop those layers, unless it’s for extra warmth that you think you need.

This list is also incomplete. How many pairs of undies?
    You’ve got a balaclava, a hat, and a buff?
    Why do you have two pairs of pants?
    Is the synthetic shirt for hiking only?

Now I want to see a full list with med kits, misc stuff, your camp setup....there’s a ton here to dial down.

For reference, I’m fairly buzzed but also I thru’d the AT in 17 and the PCT this year. I’m not trying to be an ass I’m just trying to get you as light as I can before you carry all this stuff and end up making the same decisions anyway.

Feel free to message me; I love talking Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I’m also kinda bothered by how unspecific you are. What puffy? What fleece? What wool layers? There are ounces here that matter.

You have three different wool shirts AND a wool shirt to sleep in? What are you thinking? A different shirt for every day? Man, you’re going to be a filthy wreck, a walking hazmat site. Drop those layers, unless it’s for extra warmth that you think you need.

Now I want to see a full list with med kits, misc stuff, your camp setup....there’s a ton here to dial down.

For reference, I’m fairly buzzed but also I thru’d the AT in 17 and the PCT this year. I’m not trying to be an ass I’m just trying to get you as light as I can before you carry all this stuff and end up making the same decisions anyway.

He's also planning a february start. Which is a late winter start. I understand the shedding ounces. But you can only cut so much weight starting that early. I agree. He's not dialed in. But it seems like your suggesting regular old 3 season ultralight setup on the AT. A COMPLETE separate set of baselayers is vital starting this early

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post

I have decided to drop a complete set of clothes. so that really just leaves ones set, plus long johns and a Patagonia light weight top to sleep in. if very cold I could use the long johns to hike on, but I've never seen it that cold yet.

I never had 4 shirts in the mix, the sleeping shirt was one of the 3. now down to 2 total

I did forget my exofficio boxers. was planning for 3, but will be 2 now. (one to sleep in) with long johns.

had 3 pairs of darn tough socks. thinking I might still keep all 3.

had 3 pair sock liners. will cut back to 2.

puffy is the ghost whisper, fleece is a Marmot one Costco had on sale last year. it is a double layer, my wife sewed in a breast pocket to keep my water filter from freezing so that jacket is coming since she tailored for me

The short sleeve synthetic shirt would be to wear on warm days, or layer with a long sleeve for extra warmth. if colder I would go with either the short or long sleeve and the flees or rain jacket.

I would sleep in the balaclava as I notice my hat keeps falling off. But most days the hat or buff would be enough while hiking. on a very cold day I might use balaclava, hat and buff.

Saving 27 oz with these changes.

One thing I've done which seems like it might be useful for my March 1st NOBO start: I go on the same short "hike" every morning in the woods, with my dogs. There is some elevation loss and gain but it's not exactly mountain climbing. Anyway, everyday, when I get back to the car, I put a note in my phone detailing the weather conditions, my clothing choices and my general comfort level including what I might have added or left home. I've only been doing it for about a month so far but, I've got weather ranging from 55 degrees, sunny and calm to 22 degrees, snowing and windy. As we get more into winter, I hope to get a bit more low temperature data. I already know, I'd like to try some gaiters for snowy conditions. Any recommendations?

Within the next week, I plan on doing the same thing with my sleep system by hanging my hammock on the porch on the north side of our house. I just got VB pants and shirt and want to try them as sleeping clothes.

-

been out in jan-march a lot on the s 1/2 of AT the main lesson learned is to be able to take multiple days of 35 and rain, basically it means everything you are wearing will be wet - so wool + synthetic only

Then with everything you have been wearing wet, overnight the temp goes to 0 - so you want a separate set of dry gear (mostly down IMO) base layer on up for the cold snap

Yea, not light, cheap or needed every year - but it works

alternative, carry a light pack and spot etc device - then when you get your under-prepared tit in the ringer - push the button + some one will come save you

I had a few days in the teens; a Tee and my Patagonia thermal weight hoodie were sometimes enough when I was powering up those climbs. I would layer my wind jacket over that and be solid in the 20s, a rain jacket if I really had to.

In Washington this year we had some rough days and I licked up and extra fleece to layer over the same thermal hoodie. It worked well but the windbreaker would probably have been fine; I was just afraid.

On the Pct this year I swapped from a down to synthetic puffy (micro puff) and I really dig the versatility that adds. In a pinch you can hike in it and not worry about sweat. I did just that most mornings in the Sierra. It really is awesome.

It wasn’t as warm as my down puffy on the AT, which made me sad, but hey. The EE Torrid is a bit warmer and a great deal for the performance you get.
    That said my down never really got wet on the AT and if I did it again I’d still go down for my quilts (hammocker), but probably have a synthetic puffy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++