WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I still walk just as long. I just carry a heavier headlamp if lots of night hiking is in the ballgame.

I dislike night hiking with a wimpy torch.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

you don't have to sleep or read or have electronic stimuli or "something to do." you can meditate. you can think. maybe you can try to remember what you got on your 9th birthday. or what the wallpaper looked like in your childhood bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I still walk just as long. I just carry a heavier headlamp if lots of night hiking is in the ballgame.

I dislike night hiking with a wimpy torch.

Better doesn’t have to be heavier.....Nitecore NU25 rechargeable fits the bill! Just over 1oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my little hiking and camping radio other than that , +1 on this.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    you don't have to sleep or read or have electronic stimuli or "something to do." you can meditate. you can think. maybe you can try to remember what you got on your 9th birthday. or what the wallpaper looked like in your childhood bathroom.
    Ooops this is who I was quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    Ooops this is who I was quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Better doesn’t have to be heavier.....Nitecore NU25 rechargeable fits the bill! Just over 1oz
    'Fits the bill' is pretty subjective. That light would be plenty bright for me, but definitely not enough battery life and without the ability to swap them, your only option is to carry a USB bank to recharge it.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    'Fits the bill' is pretty subjective. That light would be plenty bright for me, but definitely not enough battery life and without the ability to swap them, your only option is to carry a USB bank to recharge it.
    Yea assume most already carrying external battery in today’s world with all the tech crap out there...Rav6700mah only weighs 4oz was $12 Amazon Black Friday, bought another one. I usually get 3 nights before recharging as normally only few hours per night on med/low plenty of light with occasional high use. Do love my zebra light for wet conditions ie sup backpacking if that’s a thing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't have much trouble spending 12 hours in the bag, but rather not. While I love winter hiking, I hate winter camping so I only do day hikes theses days. Getting too old to put myself through that misery any more. Did enough of that in my youth and somehow managed to keep all my fingers and toes.
    +1

Caught myself looking forward to spring.

Then it hit me, crap it's not even winter yet!

Yea assume most already carrying external battery in today’s world with all the tech crap out there...Rav6700mah only weighs 4oz was $12 Amazon Black Friday, bought another one. I usually get 3 nights before recharging as normally only few hours per night on med/low plenty of light with occasional high use. Do love my zebra light for wet conditions ie sup backpacking if that’s a thing
    That's fair - a lot of people definitely do. I'll grab one if I'm out for 4-5 days or more, but otherwise no. Usually I'll use a fairly heavy Fenix headlamp that gives me a broad range of output vs duration options.

The NU25 has been with me for quite some time now. I've been using one since they first hit the scene. Carried one the entirety of the AT, and three end to end hikes of the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway.

I did a bunch of nightime jaunts in the white mtns this year. Up and down sketchy trail.

I found the light lacking on more technical terrain in extended use.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    You might be surprised at how long that built in battery lasts if using the lowest output setting. The higher outputs will eat it up in just a few hours, but on low it lasts for weeks. Working on a Trailspace review and eventually gave up on finishing the test because it had been a month and it was still shining. The level fades over time; output after four weeks is nothing like it was on the first day. Still enough for around camp, but probably not good for hiking.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just a point of interest: There is the same amount of darkness/daylight in the fall as there is in winter. Same thing for spring and summer (same total daylight in those two). When I found this out a few years ago, it was a real "aha !" moment.
    This is a good point here. Around Nov 21 - Jan 21 (the couple months with the least light of the year) I don't typically do much backpacking unless it's an opportunity I can't pass up!
    By February/March I'm ready to get out for a longer winter stretch, and the couple hours+ of total daylight makes a difference to me

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    The NU25 has been with me for quite some time now. I've been using one since they first hit the scene. Carried one the entirety of the AT, and three end to end hikes of the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway.

I did a bunch of nightime jaunts in the white mtns this year. Up and down sketchy trail.

I found the light lacking on more technical terrain in extended use.

Interesting...for my current needs hasn’t let me down...but definitely see the advantage of having ability to swap batteries when needed! I had my Zebra light crap out at 4am during an expedition style paddle race near the glades..boy was I glad to have ability to swap batteries! Brings up the point of having a secondary source! I also bring a photon light on a neck lanyard, changing batteries in the dark and on the water ain’t fun....I’ve only seen pics of the whites and can definitely see what your talking about...

Interesting...for my current needs hasn’t let me down...but definitely see the advantage of having ability to swap batteries when needed! I had my Zebra light crap out at 4am during an expedition style paddle race near the glades..boy was I glad to have ability to swap batteries! Brings up the point of having a secondary source! I also bring a photon light on a neck lanyard, changing batteries in the dark and on the water ain’t fun....I’ve only seen pics of the whites and can definitely see what your talking about...

It's not so much "route" finding in the whites but safety.

Lots of trail dependening on where you go is rock climbing.

Ime, when needing to climb down a cliff. It's best to see very far down it cause you need to think about not the next step. But the next 10.

I found myself with the NU25 on high. And therefore. Worried about battery life.

I night hiked practically the entire state of PA on the medium setting with zero issues.

I also found I definitely prefer headlamps to flashlights.

I just go places where all fours are standard fair.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

One advantage of the NU25 seldom mentioned is it's ability to charge and run simultaneously when connected by USB to a battery. That essentially eliminates the fear of running out of light at a critical time. With a 3' cord you can attach it to your battery bank and use it while it charges.

Sorta. You have to carry it in hand.

Secondly, this assumes one is/wants to carry a battery pack.

This method doesn't work for me whilst rock climbing in the darkness when you need all fours.

I would honestly say AAA lights have the advantage in this regard. Simply put new batteries in and you're back to 100% instantly.

I would agree that an internal usb light like the NU25 does have advantages in other cases. Like always topping it off in town on a hike with resupply points.

It's still my go to light for backpacking on a normal hiking path when lots of nightime hiking isn't in the plans.

I think mine weighs 1.1 ounces with the shockcord headband. I would gladly bump it up to 2 ounces for an increase in battery life. If they make it what it is for its current weight. An extra .9 in battery sounds like a lot of extra juice.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    One advantage of the NU25 seldom mentioned is it's ability to charge and run simultaneously when connected by USB to a battery. That essentially eliminates the fear of running out of light at a critical time. With a 3' cord you can attach it to your battery bank and use it while it charges.
    Only issue of this is you risk messing up the micro USB port, it doesn’t take much to ruin it ie snag on branch etc, but in a pinch could see doing it.

Images

The more I use the NU25 the more I think it's my favorite headlamp ever, and I personally think it's plenty bright for technical climbing when on high, but of course there's the battery life thing, so I agree, I revert to my triple AAA lamp for extensive use on difficult terrain. I haven't tried it yet but I don't think it would stay charging if plugged in to external battery while hiking, those micro USB ports are flaky.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    The more I use the NU25 the more I think it's my favorite headlamp ever, and I personally think it's plenty bright for technical climbing when on high, but of course there's the battery life thing, so I agree, I revert to my triple AAA lamp for extensive use on difficult terrain. I haven't tried it yet but I don't think it would stay charging if plugged in to external battery while hiking, those micro USB ports are flaky.
    High IS plenty bright in my experience also. But 1.5 hours of it is not nearly enough.

I love my NU25. It's just for "normal" backpacking though.

I think it's the best thru hiking torch on the market for the big three trails.

If you carry a power bank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++