WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter section gear

I’m planning a 250-350 mile section in late December somewhere between springer mountain and Damascus VA.

My main sticking point on gear is will the precipitation reliably be frozen enough to warrant/allow WTB hiking shoes instead of trail runners? Additionally this factor would help decide between the showa gloves I use for wet and cold conditions and getting some vaportherms mitts.

Sleeping-WM Kodiac, neotherm with small ccf underpad

Pack-zerk 40 or ULA circuit

Shelter-AT shelters and Sierra designs high route

Worn clothing-underwear/pants, 200 wt merino shirt, Patagonia r1, glove liners, mid weight wool socks

Carried-second midlayer-100 wt fleece, Sierra designs dridown parka, outdoor research foray rain gear

Traction-micro spikes

Leonidas

Just something I found with the showa gloves(281 model). I used these with possum down glove liners and they were good until the temps got below ~25 degrees. Ordered some overmitts to see if having my fingers together works better.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Have extra warm clothes to put on as soon as you stop (remove wet clothes). But it sounds like you are well clued in...

My only issue with such a hike would be what to do with the extremely long hours of darkness. Take a good book or three?

Definitely go with a GTX lined boot. It will seriously reduce the risk of waking up to a totally frozen solid boot. It will also keep your feet a lot warmer.

Since we're already a week in to December, you should be able to get a reasonably accurate idea of the weather for the mountains of NC and gear (or postpone) as required. Looks like we're in a twice a week storm cycle right now.

Oh, get an old school candle lantern. It puts out a suprisingly good amount of heat and produces a pleant, relaxing light, unlike the harsh white LED lamps.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Ditto RockDoc. The long hours of darkness are a problem. The boredom and lack of hiking generated body heat is a serious challenge.
    Simple is good.

Looks similar to what I’m taking for BT in next few weeks.. good lamp a must as I always end up night hiking to get my winter trip miles. I’d rather walk late than be stuck inside shelter for 12+ hours....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    My main sticking point on gear is will the precipitation reliably be frozen enough to warrant/allow WTB hiking shoes instead of trail runners? Additionally this factor would help decide between the showa gloves I use for wet and cold conditions and getting some vaportherms mitts.
    Your main gear sounds good.
    For winter, I personally go with a low cut waterproof shoe (merrell moab).. +gaiters if it's actually continuous serious snow, but that shouldn't be needed in your case. I find this kind of shoe with a proper sock is great for 20f - ~50f
    I know some go with trail runners still in winter... but I haven't had a reason to bother with that.

Sounds like I can drop the second mid layer and consider better systems for my hands and feet. I kinda assumed snow shoes are rarely warranted and I would be better off bailing out if they were.

Default Winter section gear

If you really prefer your trailrunners you could use waterproof socks and or a wool felt insoles.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I just would prefer to not purchase additional gear and after doing the GSNP AT Early last November I’ve kinda given up on WTB gear outside of the mountain west.

I’m highly considering the AT/BMT smokies loop as I’ve blown way too much money on shuttles recently.

++ New Posts ++