WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mahoosics in June

Looking for some helpful experience: I prefer to hike above treeline in June before the summer lightning storms get cranked up. Is Mahoosic Notch typically passable in early June? I'm planning a section hike from Height of Land to Hanover, and I'd retaher contend with bugs than lightning. Thanks

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dalekeppley View Post
    Looking for some helpful experience: I prefer to hike above treeline in June before the summer lightning storms get cranked up. Is Mahoosic Notch typically passable in early June? I'm planning a section hike from Height of Land to Hanover, and I'd retaher contend with bugs than lightning. Thanks
    You might want to reconsider. Our hiking in the Northeast has been in August/September. June is still bug season, and can be surprisingly cold. Consider that Katahdin sometimes doesn't open until June.

Late summer won't have the frequency of storms that midsummer will have.

Well, it all depends. It depends on the weather. June can be a rainy month, especially early June. Which means lots of mud in the boggy areas, which is everywhere your not going up or down hill. But if it's raining (and in places for days after) and your not walking in a stream, your not on the trail. If we have a snowy winter (and we usually do) there can still be deep snow in places until mid June. If you happen to hit when the Black Flies hatch, you'll know what hell on earth is like. But the mosquito's can be worse. I live in the Whites, the Mahoosics are just up the road from me. I avoid hiking around here in June at all costs.

OTOH, if we have an unseasonably warm May and a dry June, it's not bad. But I wouldn't count on it.

We really don't get many thunderstorms and when we do get them, they typically come late in the day or after dark. However, July tends to be muggy and hazy so the views aren't great. Plus the higher summits are often in the clouds due to condensing the humidity out of the air.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I also live nearby, we used to take the local boy scouts to the Mahoosucs for camping in early June. Its buggy and can be muddy. Mahoosuc Notch will definitely still have snow in it as it will in July. Its still passable just may be more interesting.

Dont worry about afternoon thundershowers, they are pretty predictable and these days the forecasts are pretty accurate. Days are long and if you start early in the AM thundershowers are not an issue.

++ New Posts ++