WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Big K. October 2019

Went up and walked all over Katahdin this past October. First time back since finishing the AT. Kinda funny cause the couple in the summit photo i trail angeled in the whites like a month prior. Funny running into them. A beautiful day. Literally no wind. Clear cool. In the 40s and 50s. I met an a guy from Israel at the ranger station and we ended up doing the whole loop together. Stayed at the AT hostel in Millinocket. Pamola - Baxter - Hamlin from roaring brook. Sweet hike.

Fastfox

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The thing that I find fascinating about Katahdin is that it reminds me of the Sierra Nevada mountains (hiking the JMT in my case) where you spend part of your time above tree line. But the elevation of Katahdin isn't that much... because it's more than 1,000' lower than Clingman's Dome in GSMNP (where I do the bulk of my hiking), yet Clingmans Dome is a forest covered mountain.
    Obviously the difference is latitude. I think I once read that "tree line" in GSMNP is about 8,000', but Clingman's Dome is only around 6,600'.

BTW: Enjoyed your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The thing that I find fascinating about Katahdin is that it reminds me of the Sierra Nevada mountains (hiking the JMT in my case) where you spend part of your time above tree line. But the elevation of Katahdin isn't that much... because it's more than 1,000' lower than Clingman's Dome in GSMNP (where I do the bulk of my hiking), yet Clingmans Dome is a forest covered mountain.
    Obviously the difference is latitude. I think I once read that "tree line" in GSMNP is about 8,000', but Clingman's Dome is only around 6,600'.

BTW: Enjoyed your pictures.
    It's that same feeling you get on the AT when you hit the Whites. Even though Clingmans is higher. The whites and maine feel 10x bigger than the rest of the AT.

Wow nice pics thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get up there, that whole work thing gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Wow nice pics thanks for sharing. I can't wait to get up there, that whole work thing gets in the way.
    Do ittt

it's been a long time since I was last up there. I need to go back before I'm too old and lame...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    it's been a long time since I was last up there. I need to go back before I'm too old and lame...
    I reckon things haven't changed much up North.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Do ittt

Yeah well me and Colorado have some unfinished business then I think Maine is on my list.

Yeah well me and Colorado have some unfinished business then I think Maine is on my list.
    Excellent. Touching Baxter Peak... all I could think about was starting a long walk south to GA.

Excellent. Touching Baxter Peak... all I could think about was starting a long walk south to GA.

Do it!! ��

How many miles is this loop? I ask because you say the month of October. And may consider this a future endeavor and adventure of my own.

How many miles is this loop? I ask because you say the month of October. And may consider this a future endeavor and adventure of my own.
    If I remember correctly it was right under 13 miles. I got to Baxter 30 minutes before the park opened. 6am I believe. Then started hiking around 7. Was back at the car around 2:30.

We were steady all day but never once felt like we were pushing ourselves. Never even broke a sweat!

Knifes edge is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. In good weather.

My experience hiking it. Its 1.1 miles long. Only about .3 is actually hairy. And I can feel for someone uncomfortable on rock being intimidated by that .3

The rest of it I was on my two feet walking the Knife Edge.

The stretch from Baxter over to Hamlin was pretty gentle. And even going down Chimney was pretty gentle.

You certainly want to start with the knifes edge.

However. It would suck on wet rock and I wouldnt do it

I reckon things haven't changed much up North.
    The last time I was up there, there was 6" of snow on the top. The time before that, there was light coating of ice. Both times we had to sweet talk the rangers into letting us up there. That's when we decided Columbus day weekend wasn't the best time to do a Baxter trip :)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hard to beat that loop up from Roaring Brook. So many folks are fixated on the summit and getting home that they miss the best part of the mountain. There is similar long loop from Russel Pond that is just as if not more spectacular via Northwest Basin trail to Hamlin, then an optional run over to the Baxter Peak then back to Russel Pond via Northern Peaks trail. The big difference is if you stop at Hamlin and skip Baxter Peak you may only encounter 4 or 5 folks all day.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Hard to beat that loop up from Roaring Brook. So many folks are fixated on the summit and getting home that they miss the best part of the mountain. There is similar long loop from Russel Pond that is just as if not more spectacular via Northwest Basin trail to Hamlin, then an optional run over to the Baxter Peak then back to Russel Pond via Northern Peaks trail. The big difference is if you stop at Hamlin and skip Baxter Peak you may only encounter 4 or 5 folks all day.
    I really enjoyed this loop I did and can whole heartedly recommend it. I told the ranger I went over to Hamlin and he said.. noone days that!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The last time I was up there, there was 6" of snow on the top. The time before that, there was light coating of ice. Both times we had to sweet talk the rangers into letting us up there. That's when we decided Columbus day weekend wasn't the best time to do a Baxter trip :)
    I believe this was October 13th. A week prior Nobos were making snowmen on the summit lol

++ New Posts ++