WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Skyway Loop trail

I’m thinking of doing the Skyway Loop beginning at Adams Gap.

Are permits required?
    How about check in?
    Has Adams Gap had any issues with vandalism? I’m thinking of going midweek to hopefully avoid vandals.

Thanks

No permits, no checkins, etc.
    I've heard stories of breakins at Adams Gap maybe 6-8 years past, but also left a vehicle there for 3 days during that time frame. Could happen anywhere, rarely does, and isn't something I worry over much.
    I've done the loop every which way as a quickie overnighter or dayhike over the years. Both directions from all 3 THs(down to 2 for overnights, now), in all seasons. In cool weather, Turnipseed is definitely my preferred place to park. Go up to the Pinhoti, down to Skyway and camp part way through it. Skyway is the worst section for bugs when it's warm, but has my favorite campsite on the loop, so I seize the opportunity to camp there when they aren't out.

I like the site at the creek crossing, it's a nice spot.
    FB_IMG_1575353236979.jpg

FB_IMG_1575353243231.jpg

So another question. Is orange (hat, pack cover, etc.) needed or preferred?

Thank you

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    So another question. Is orange (hat, pack cover, etc.) needed or preferred?

Thank you
    Both, lots of hunters can be out in that area. I had hat, pack cover and an orange shirt on when I finished the Pinhoti last month. Did sections 26-31 in GA and 7-8 to finish the Alabama portion and the entire trail.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I wouldn't bother. If you see any hunters, it'll be at the pullouts along the highway, not on hiking trails.

Well I did the loop over the past two days (Mon-Tues). It's a strenuous trail made all the more strenuous by the lack of trail markers, blazes, etc. I spent at least two hours on the second day wandering the woods. I was using my old orienteering training to find the trail (cross country due south, hit a road, turn left, look for trail, etc.). Cross country is easier said than done. I did this trail something like 18 years ago and don't recall these problems. I met several hikers along the way who concurred. Some of them were familiar with the trail so knew where it was (more or less), one used an app. Alltrails I think.

It's a gorgeous area with more than adequate water sources (I should have carried a bit less). I also got to try out my new sleeping quilt. My 20F Enlightened Equipment quilt was great in mid-30s weather. I also use a Neoair Xtherm so that probably helped. Also the pump I rigged to my Sawyer worked great and proved useful as where I camped there was steep 1 foot drop to the water. It would have been inconvenient for me to try to fill a bag. Dropping a hose was easy.

I hate to complain as I do volunteer trail maintenance locally and know some of the difficulties. But still I am thinking I should just drive there with a can of paint and a week to wander.
    Last edited by perrymk; 01-01-2020 at 10:35.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Well I did the loop over the past two days (Mon-Tues). It's a strenuous trail made all the more strenuous by the lack of trail markers, blazes, etc. I spent at least two hours on the second day wandering the woods. I was using my old orienteering training to find the trail (cross country due south, hit a road, turn left, look for trail, etc.). Cross country is easier said than done. I did this trail something like 18 years ago and don't recall these problems. I met several hikers along the way who concurred. Some of them were familiar with the trail so knew where it was (more or less), one used an app. Alltrails I think.

It's a gorgeous area with more than adequate water sources (I should have carried a bit less). I also got to try out my new sleeping quilt. My 20F Enlightened Equipment quilt was great in mid-30s weather. I also use a Neoair Xtherm so that probably helped. Also the pump I rigged to my Sawyer worked great and proved useful as where I camped there was steep 1 foot drop to the water. It would have been inconvenient for me to try to fill a bag. Dropping a hose was easy.

I hate to complain as I do volunteer trail maintenance locally and know some of the difficulties. But still I am thinking I should just drive there with a can of paint and a week to wander.
    From what I recall, the Skyway Loop is in the Cheaha Wilderness, that is why blazing is minimal if not non-existent. If you were to blaze it and not get caught, they would paint over the blazes as they have in other areas of the wilderness.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I think that there is only a section of it on the Pinhoti that is in the wilderness. None of the Chinnabee nor the Skyway are in the wilderness.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I think that there is only a section of it on the Pinhoti that is in the wilderness. None of the Chinnabee nor the Skyway are in the wilderness.
    Gotcha, I was aware that they all intersected. I remember part of that being in the wilderness portion but I wasn't sure how much more of them were. Always good to have more information!
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Misinformation just piles up on here.
    Part of the Chinnabee, from Turnipseed up to the Pinhoti, IS in Cheaha Wilderness, as is the entirety of the Pinhoti section on the loop, which IS blazed.

If anybody looks at this thread out of interest in the loop, don't read this garbage and be dissuaded.
    It's a good hike. If you can't stay on heavily used and easily followed trails, I'd say take a map, but in that case it's probably not gonna help much.
    Far better, since it shows you where you are ON the map, download the Avenza Maps app. I know there are others, but of those I've tried, it's the only one I'd recommend.
    It's an excellent phone app(far superior to my Garmin GPS/Earthmate app combo, too), and lots of the maps are free to $1.

The one you want for this hike is:
    Talladega Cheaha Wilderness Area
    Map Store Product #: 416341

It's the same as this downloadable FS map, but with your location:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd495949.pdf

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Misinformation just piles up on here.
    Part of the Chinnabee, from Turnipseed up to the Pinhoti, IS in Cheaha Wilderness, as is the entirety of the Pinhoti section on the loop, which IS blazed.
    [/URL]
    Don’t hold back tell us how you really feel.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Just did the Skyway Loop Nov 2019. shakeout hike for new gear. We started afternoon on Friday and hiked out early Sunday morning. Blazes can be minimal on the hike but easy path to follow. Maps are not that great for this loop that we could find. Great hike and great views. Posted some pics from the hike:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did this loop in October and it was my first time to hike any of it and did not have a map and had no problems following the trail.

++ New Posts ++