WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question First view of the South Taconic Range (MA/NY/CT area) for northbounders?

Hi all,

I'm writing a hiking guidebook to the southern Berkshires area (the tristate corner of MA, NY, and CT) and have a question. Does anyone know if the Hang Glider View from the AT on Sharon Mountain in Sharon, CT, is the first view of the South Taconic Range that northbounders have, or do they get a glimpse of it earlier than that? (Maybe somewhere in Kent, CT?) The South Taconic Range is the north-sound tending mountain range that the AT traverses from Route 41 in Salisbury, CT (at Lion's Head), up to the Jug End lookout in Egremont, MA. The east side of the range (the AT side) includes Bear Mountain, Sages Ravine, Mount Race, and Mount Everett, among others. (The west side of the range, including Mount Brace, Mount Alander, Mount Frissell, and others, is traversed by the South Taconic Trail, which roughly parallels the AT for about 15 miles.)

I'm guessing the first time southbounders see the South Taconic Range is from Mount Greylock, but that's north of my coverage area, in the northern Berkshires. Sharon Mountain is just inside my coverage area, at the southern end. The book is called "100 Hikes in the Southern Berkshires and Just Beyond." I'm also looking for hike testers, if anyone who lives in the area is interested.

Thanks in advance!

--Berkshire Bill

There is a west/northwestern view of the South Taconics from Easter Mountain, approximately 2-miles south of the Hang Gliders View and another view point just north of Easter Mountain as well. I cannot recall if these two are seasonal views or not, but if memory serves the Hang Glider View is the first real impressive view you get of the South Taconics northbound on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    There is a west/northwestern view of the South Taconics from Easter Mountain, approximately 2-miles south of the Hang Gliders View and another view point just north of Easter Mountain as well. I cannot recall if these two are seasonal views or not, but if memory serves the Hang Glider View is the first real impressive view you get of the South Taconics northbound on the AT.
    Hi Traveler,
    Thanks a lot for your reply -- that's good to know. Thank you!
    -BB

++ New Posts ++