WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: frameless packs

MLD burn has been a great pack for most of my SOLO trips but with long water and food carries it can get lil uncomfortable. under 23lbs it’s very comfortable...with that said I’m ordering a HMG 3400 junction for winter trips with my son and dogs as I always end up with some of there crap which overloads the burn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the humid east, you definately want some back ventulation.

In the dry west, it's less of a concern and maybe benifical to trap mosture on your back, since you loose it so quickly anyway. But if I had to carry a bear valut and a lot of water, I'd take a close look at an external frame pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Funny thing about the back ventilation issue... I didn't notice the difference, but I suspect it's because even with a pack with great ventilation I still end up drenched so it couldn't get any worse. Regardless, for most people that's probably a very valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In the humid east, you definately want some back ventulation.

In the dry west, it's less of a concern and maybe benifical to trap mosture on your back, since you loose it so quickly anyway. But if I had to carry a bear valut and a lot of water, I'd take a close look at an external frame pack.
    Other than Zpacks, which I’ve never tried what internal frame packs actually have real ventilation...I’ve had ULA internal frame which was no different as far as back sweat as a frameless pack...I don’t think it’s really a big deal at least for me...I’m sure during a northeast winter trip are a different story....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Wait, what?

East coast and west coast conditions vary, but few gear recommendations take into account geographic location and conditions. It seems that a lot of the most highly regarded hikers, hiking places, and gear companies are out west, and their recommendations and gear endorsements reflect that. Go get a calendar that showcases beautiful natural places in America. About 10 of the 12 months will feature pictures from west of the Mississippi River. Look at Andrew Skurka's (historical) partnership with Sierra Designs. He helped develop the High Route tent, but on his website, he states

But he did not develop a hammock system with SD. Possibly in part because he's not out east all that often compared to out west.

Intended conditions for use of gear has big implications for optimizing choice of materials and design of such gear. We don't consider it as much as we should, IMO. Instead we look to an admired reviewer of gear and take their recommendation at face value, even if they're using it totally different conditions.
    An excellent point that's often disregarded when discussing gear, base weight, etc. Even on AT thru-hike discussions. Gear that is optimum for a late winter/early spring start in the southern Appalachians doesn't always represent a good choice in summer in the mid-Atlantic nor fall in New England. Hammocks are great in the mid-Atlantic but present problems with cold weather in the south, logistics concerns in GSMNP, suitable trees in NH, etc. Pack size (and suspension) are affected by shelter/sleeping gear along with clothing requirements, water, food and fuel, potential bear vault requirements, etc. That's why the first question whenever someone starts a "base weight" thread has to be where, when, and the itinerary. Otherwise it's kind of pointless. Frameless packs have their place, but only when conditions and hiking style are a good fit.

well guys this thread is 2 years old so i'll update it. i bought the Gossamer Gear Kumo. i've had 4 days of food, 2 liters of water for a load out of 22 lbs. the pack was comfortable from day one thru day 4.

Glad to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Glad to hear it!
    thanks Caleb...

Went from a ULA circuit to a Kumo 2 yrs ago and agree for me it is an outstanding pack.Back sweat for me is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by goatee View Post
    Went from a ULA circuit to a Kumo 2 yrs ago and agree for me it is an outstanding pack.Back sweat for me is not an issue.
    GG sells this back pad for the Kumo. people who use it say that it helps with the sweat issue. i don't have a problem with sweating either and i backpacked all summer in Tennessee.
    https://www.gossamergear.com/collect...ight-camp-seat

Makes no sense to buy and carry more stuff to make up for a lightweight gears shortcomings. Although does seem to be a frequent thread.

even my small day pack has internal frame inserts, and generally all that has in it is at most 10 lbs. Cant imagine carrying an ALICE without a frame. Coming out of combat arms into support I noticed CIF issued Alice packs without frames. First thing I did was go buy a frame, Then promptly watched people suffer on the occasional road march day//

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++