WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Cades Cove Abrams Loop.

Planning on doing a somewhat loop in the Abrams Falls area of Cades Cove.

Anyone have any info or personal experiences at campsites #17 (Little Bottoms Trail), campsite #2 ( Cane Creek Trail), and campsite #3 (Beard Cane Trail).

Water sources flowing at sites 17, 2, and 3? Thanks for any help or useful tips. This will be my first timing backpacking the Cades Cove area.

Hi Bianchi,

Regarding water, all of the mentioned campsites are near creeks (#17 is beside the very large Abrams creek though I usually get my water from a spring just north of the campsite on the left of the main trail when it's flowing). That is a lovely part of the park and it gets a lot of day hike use both from Happy Valley and from the Ace Gap connection to public roads. Many of the trails are really old roads and there are no big climbs (relatively) though crossing the ridge on each end of the Little Bottoms trail will get the blood flowing with a pack on. There is a lot of pine in that area with the deciduous only becoming more prevalent on the hill tops; so not the best for fall color but in winter it's nice. One of the nicest sections of trail in that general area is that backside of Abrams Falls trail from Little Bottoms/ Hatcher Mtn junction to the falls. When I camp at 17 I sometimes like to get up early and hike over to falls to enjoy it before the droves of people get there from the Cades Cove side.

If interested in catching a non-hiking view, drive on up to Look Rock on the Foothills Parkway for some nice views. You can hike to an observation tower or scramble through the trees on obvious use trails from the parking lot to some wonderful rocky cliffs with excellent views

You didn't mention going over the other way but be aware the bridge is still out from Abrams Creek ranger station to the Rabbit Creek trail and you have to ford (or wade) Abrams Creek to get across. Not hard but it'd cold right now.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What time of year are you planning?

Beard Cane Trail is covered with poison ivy from the moment it drops into the valley from the Hatcher Mountain Trail intersection to beyond CS#3.

I recall CS#3 being relatively nice. You have to watch out for poison ivy while setting up your tent, but as with most GSMNP camp sites, the ground is trampled down enough that poison ivy isn't a major issue in camp... that is until you have to dig a cat hole. After stepping away from the tent pads, I think I walked 100 yards down the trail until I could find a section of ground where the poison ivy cover was thin enough to take care of business.

CS#2 is relatively small... only 4 reservation spots available. It's a very short hike down to where the trail crosses the creek to get your water. While the trail isn't covered in poison ivy like Beard Cane, you still have to watch out for poison ivy in camp with patches growing here and there.

I don't recall any water crossings on Beard Cane that are not rock hops. Cane Creek, on the other hand, the creek crossings get more difficult to keep your feet dry, especially the last one if you hike the trail all the way to the park boundary. Water is never more than about ankle deep should you have to resort to fording the creek.

I would describe Beard Cane and Cane Creek to be good winter trails/campsites as you shouldn't have to worry about the poison ivy.

Note that if you want to make a loop that includes Cooper Road and Abrams Creek, if you follow the official path of Wet Bottoms trail to connect the two, there is a major ford of Abrams Creek. The ford itself isn't difficult or deep, but the banks are muddy on both sides. If you don't mind skipping the "official" trail, there is a "back" trail that goes from the bridge at the Abrams Falls parking lot to Bud Ogle's cabin. From that trail, there are several man-ways along the far side of the creek to get you back to Wet Bottoms after the creek crossing. However, if you are working towards the 900 miler club, I personally consider such an alternate route to be "cheating".

Images

However, if you are working towards the 900 miler club, I personally consider such an alternate route to be "cheating".

me as well....

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Hi Bianchi,

Regarding water, all of the mentioned campsites are near creeks (#17 is beside the very large Abrams creek though I usually get my water from a spring just north of the campsite on the left of the main trail when it's flowing). That is a lovely part of the park and it gets a lot of day hike use both from Happy Valley and from the Ace Gap connection to public roads. Many of the trails are really old roads and there are no big climbs (relatively) though crossing the ridge on each end of the Little Bottoms trail will get the blood flowing with a pack on. There is a lot of pine in that area with the deciduous only becoming more prevalent on the hill tops; so not the best for fall color but in winter it's nice. One of the nicest sections of trail in that general area is that backside of Abrams Falls trail from Little Bottoms/ Hatcher Mtn junction to the falls. When I camp at 17 I sometimes like to get up early and hike over to falls to enjoy it before the droves of people get there from the Cades Cove side.

If interested in catching a non-hiking view, drive on up to Look Rock on the Foothills Parkway for some nice views. You can hike to an observation tower or scramble through the trees on obvious use trails from the parking lot to some wonderful rocky cliffs with excellent views

You didn't mention going over the other way but be aware the bridge is still out from Abrams Creek ranger station to the Rabbit Creek trail and you have to ford (or wade) Abrams Creek to get across. Not hard but it'd cold right now.
    Thanks for the great info

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

Beard Cane Trail is covered with poison ivy from the moment it drops into the valley from the Hatcher Mountain Trail intersection to beyond CS#3.

I recall CS#3 being relatively nice. You have to watch out for poison ivy while setting up your tent, but as with most GSMNP camp sites, the ground is trampled down enough that poison ivy isn't a major issue in camp... that is until you have to dig a cat hole. After stepping away from the tent pads, I think I walked 100 yards down the trail until I could find a section of ground where the poison ivy cover was thin enough to take care of business.

CS#2 is relatively small... only 4 reservation spots available. It's a very short hike down to where the trail crosses the creek to get your water. While the trail isn't covered in poison ivy like Beard Cane, you still have to watch out for poison ivy in camp with patches growing here and there.

I don't recall any water crossings on Beard Cane that are not rock hops. Cane Creek, on the other hand, the creek crossings get more difficult to keep your feet dry, especially the last one if you hike the trail all the way to the park boundary. Water is never more than about ankle deep should you have to resort to fording the creek.

I would describe Beard Cane and Cane Creek to be good winter trails/campsites as you shouldn't have to worry about the poison ivy.

Note that if you want to make a loop that includes Cooper Road and Abrams Creek, if you follow the official path of Wet Bottoms trail to connect the two, there is a major ford of Abrams Creek. The ford itself isn't difficult or deep, but the banks are muddy on both sides. If you don't mind skipping the "official" trail, there is a "back" trail that goes from the bridge at the Abrams Falls parking lot to Bud Ogle's cabin. From that trail, there are several man-ways along the far side of the creek to get you back to Wet Bottoms after the creek crossing. However, if you are working towards the 900 miler club, I personally consider such an alternate route to be "cheating".
    Thanks for the great info.

I plan to do this hike during my upcoming Thanksgiving break. I've already made my permit reservations.

The ford of Abrams Creek should be no problem. Last week, I did Forney Creek trail from Clingmans Dome with a few knee deep fords.

On a side note, ran into backcountry office Ranger Nick who was on the upper part of Forney Creek trail. He asked to see our (three of us) permits. First time I've been asked to show my permits. It was a pleasure to run into Ranger Nick and get some great info from him regarding the Forney Creek crossings and our planned campsites.

I'd like to do as many trails in the GSMNP as possible, but really no goal to become a 900 Miler Club person. It is just great being out in the woods and walking the trails. I've done many trails on the North Carolina side, but not many on the Tennessee side. I'd like to use this late Fall/Winter/Early Spring time period to do some trails in and around Cades Cove, Tremont, Elkmont, and Cosby.

Again, thanks for sharing your great intel on Campsites #17, #2, and #3.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    On a side note, ran into backcountry office Ranger Nick who was on the upper part of Forney Creek trail. He asked to see our (three of us) permits. First time I've been asked to show my permits.
    The one time I've been asked to show my permit while in the back country, I too was on Forney Creek... except I was on the lower section (don't know if it was Ranger Nick or not).

I've also once been asked to show my permit while in the front country... Clingman's Dome parking lot.

Journal Entries

Hookoo,
    Please describe the poison ivy problem a little further. For example, is it simply widespread off-trail? Or is also 6' tall and growing across the trail? I was thinking of a dayhike in this area later this month, but if it's impossible to avoid contact, I may need to re-think. I understand you said that the campsites are trampled down. What about the trail itself?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Hookoo,
    Please describe the poison ivy problem a little further. For example, is it simply widespread off-trail? Or is also 6' tall and growing across the trail? I was thinking of a dayhike in this area later this month, but if it's impossible to avoid contact, I may need to re-think. I understand you said that the campsites are trampled down. What about the trail itself?
    It crowds the trail but isn't impossible to avoid... but you have to constantly be vigilant. After looking at it for a day, this trail finally taught my son how to recognize poison ivy.

But now that the one week of fall is over and we're now into winter here in the South East, the poison ivy leaves should have died and fallen off, so this time of year is perhaps the best time to year to hike this trail.

Journal Entries

It crowds the trail but isn't impossible to avoid... but you have to constantly be vigilant. After looking at it for a day, this trail finally taught my son how to recognize poison ivy.

But now that the one week of fall is over and we're now into winter here in the South East, the poison ivy leaves should have died and fallen off, so this time of year is perhaps the best time to year to hike this trail.
    One week of fall! Ain't that the truth!!

Thanks for the info, and Bianchi, I guess I'll be out there the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, so I'll try to report back on any trail conditions that you might find interesting.

One week of fall! Ain't that the truth!!

Thanks for the info, and Bianchi, I guess I'll be out there the weekend prior to Thanksgiving, so I'll try to report back on any trail conditions that you might find interesting.
    Thanks, Illabelle. That would be great to get some fresh news on the current trail conditions around that area of Cades Cove.

Journal Entries

We spent the rainy weekend at an AirBnB near the Park boundary. If the weather had been nice, we would have done an out-and-back on the Goldmine and Cane Creek trails, a total of about 7 miles. Maybe another time.

Saturday afternoon the rain let up, so we drove to a nearby road where we could enter the Park on foot via the Goldmine Trail (Comment in link at the bottom mentions "Stegner Circle", I think it's actually "Steffner Circle" - in case you're looking for that spot). Rain had been heavy, and we were not prepared to wade, so we just planned to go until we couldn't. That happened less than 2 miles from our vehicle.

From the boundary, the trail descended steadily into the interior, which kinda surprised me. Seems like most of the time when you go into the Park, you have to climb. The trail was wide, clear, and in good condition with adequate signage. I had read descriptions of mud and overgrowth, but that was not evident within our limited hike. In a few places the trail itself was a stream due to overnight and morning downpours, but even there it wasn't muddy. Weediness was not seen at all.

The creek pictured below is on Cane Creek Trail a little south of Campsite 2. We had crossed a handful of lesser streams, but this one was estimated to be 8-10 feet across and 14 inches deep.

Trail description and comments at link below were helpful.
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/t...e-creek-trails

Thank you for the trip report, Illabelle.

If all goes to plan, I will cross that creek on Friday.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

...The creek pictured below is on Cane Creek Trail a little south of Campsite 2. We had crossed a handful of lesser streams, but this one was estimated to be 8-10 feet across and 14 inches deep...
    WOW!!!
    The two times I've camped at #2, I've never seen the water there like that, but then the times I've been there were not just after a rain.
    Usually the creek crossings along Cane Creek Trail are rock hoppers until you get to the last crossing of Cane Creek about 1/4 mile before the park boundary... and even then, it's normally only about shin deep.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    Thank you for the trip report, Illabelle.

If all goes to plan, I will cross that creek on Friday.
    I'm sure it's gone way down by now. Wish I had been able to give a report further along Cane Creek. I look forward to hearing more about your trip.
    By the way, there's more rain in Wednesday's forecast - no details yet.

Journal Entries

WOW!!!
    The two times I've camped at #2, I've never seen the water there like that, but then the times I've been there were not just after a rain.
    Usually the creek crossings along Cane Creek Trail are rock hoppers until you get to the last crossing of Cane Creek about 1/4 mile before the park boundary... and even then, it's normally only about shin deep.
    Makes me wonder what that last crossing must've looked like Saturday afternoon!

Hookoo, is there access to the far end of Cane Creek Trail from a road outside the Park? It's a shame that it just dead ends out there without connecting to anything else.

Journal Entries

Hookoo, is there access to the far end of Cane Creek Trail from a road outside the Park? It's a shame that it just dead ends out there without connecting to anything else.
    Zoom in on the area (link below), and it appears there might be road access, though not at the boundary.

https://www.acrevalue.com/plat-map/T...869649&zoom=15

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Probably about the same. With a pair of water proof boots, I've been able to do all the creek crossings along Cane Creek as a rock hop/tree trunk balance.
    Along this length of Cane Creek, there are no named feeder creeks, just unnamed drainages, so not much to "add" to the flow. I think it's either just a coincidence that the earlier creek crossings are shallower, or perhaps there are simply more rocks in the creek at the earlier crossings.

If you look at a TOPO map, there are no named feeder creeks to significantly add to the flow of the creek along this section of the trail... just a few unnamed drainages.

The trail continues beyond the park boundary, but it is private property.
    If I'm recalling correctly, there is something of a resort at the end of Cane Creek. Resort guests access the park via Cane Creek.

Beyond there being signs at the park boundary regarding "private property", I don't recall details that I have heard about resorts in the area. Seems like I've heard stories about a resort in the area that has even built/maintained some illegal trails in the national park and the park service has mostly just looked the other way. Don't recall the details like a name of a resort or how long ago... just something online (either a new story or work of mouth in a forum) that included the park service DID get upset with the resort because a guest was reported missing and the resort employees entered the national park on 4 wheelers to looking for the missing guest. I seem to also recall reading about a resort that has a large wooden troll/elf/something in the general area. The wooden statue is visible from parts of the Foothills parkway. But I don't know if the resort associated with this statue is the owners of the private property that the far end of Cane Creek trail crosses.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 11-25-2019 at 16:07.

Images

The trail continues beyond the park boundary, but it is private property.
    If I'm recalling correctly, there is something of a resort at the end of Cane Creek. Resort guests access the park via Cane Creek.

yeah....

it leads to blackberry farms..............the resort..........

and they aren't too keen on non paying guests hiking on their land.....

Images

that included the park service DID get upset with the resort because a guest was reported missing and the resort employees entered the national park on 4 wheelers to looking for the missing gues

i was in CS 2 when the ATV's went up the trail............they were also using a chain saw to cut blowdowns...

i called the park about it on the monday after this happened, and the park was not happy they did this....

I seem to also recall reading about a resort that has a large wooden troll/elf/something in the general area.

yup......

blackberry has the wooden troll thing....

and only access is by being a paid guest at the resort...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++