WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Catawba to Daleville Thanksgiving weekend

Is this area still really busy for a 3 day hike over the Thanksgiving break? And how does the weather up on the trail differ from Catawba area forecast?

Thanks in advance.

Wont be busy...
    There isn't any serious elevation difference thru here and with it being late November cold is cold. Your highest point is 1500 ft higher then where Catawba weather is recorded so estimate that the coldest you should see is about 5-8 degrees colder then in Catawba. But like i said, late November cold is cold.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 11-14-2019 at 14:26.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I don't know that I'd bet on: "won't be busy".
    Holiday weekend, Mcafee Knob, AT, Tinker Cliffs, and the Andy Layne Trail - all pretty popular. If the weather is nice, I think you're gonna be seein' folks from the McAfee Knob parking to Scorched Earth Gap where the AT & Andy Layne Trail meet.

willin'

I dragged my whole family up McAfee's Knob on Black Friday a couple years ago when REI was just starting out their "Opt Outside" campaign. It was very, very crowded, but the weather was also unseasonably warm and sunny.

If the weather's tolerable, expect big crowds of day hikers on the mile connecting Dragon's Tooth to the Boy Scout trail and parking lot and on the four miles between 311 and McAfee's. The rest of the AT will probably feel deserted in comparison. Even if you end up encountering a lot of other backpackers, the campsites in that area are frequent and high-capacity because of the popularity, so I wouldn't worry about the crowds. Just don't expect to have the place to yourself!
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

-

likely deer gun season - national parks are a good option

++ New Posts ++