WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question MST Segment 10 - Eno River State Park to Falls Lake Dam by Raleigh

This section got my attention a couple of years ago as an off-season (probably early spring) section hike. Anyone done it and have any thoughts? How practical is camping?

https://mountainstoseatrail.org/segment/10/

I think you will find out where the campsites(?) are if you read thru the description of Section 10. I believe you can also stay at the campground described.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    I think you will find out where the campsites(?) are if you read thru the description of Section 10. I believe you can also stay at the campground described.
    It looks like camping is available at reasonable distances except for the easternmost 18 miles, though that's still a do-able day hike.

Images

Camping is available at:
    Shinleaf Recreation Area The trail passes through here and has a bathroom and running water at the bathroom. Walk-in sites behind it.

There is a thru-hiker campsite 1/4 mile off the trail just north/west of Ravens Ridge Road heading toward Bay Leaf Church Road.

Rolling View has a camping area, but I am not sure how far it is off the trail.

Looks like the Ravens Ridge Road site is within that 18 mile stretch. It was not listed as a campsite in the trail guide.

Bayleaf Church Rd. (Yorkshire Center)*
    (Gate is open only 8 to 5 on weekdays) EB Mile 65.1; WB Mile 12.4

Camping along the way. It's a nice rambling rather flat water abundant segment. Check out: https://mountainstoseatrail.org/the-trail/segments/ Day Hikes. It's a more detailed breakdown. And: https://mountainstoseatrail.org/wp-c...2018-04-04.pdf

As an aside the MST accepts doing the Nuese River from Falls Dam to the Nuesiok Tr as an alternative to the longer distance mainly road walk. I rented a yak in Raleigh and had no car so shuttled.

Images

I've day hiked all of section 10 over the past year. It's all easy walking - 20 miles/day is doable even in winter. I'd plan for 4-6 days to finish the segment depending on how fast you want to go.

As far as camping, the established sites are about a day's walk apart. Even if you can't get to an established site, the whole section parallels Falls Lake and the Eno River, so there's water everywhere. Follow any of the multitude of unblazed side trails toward the lake for a nice secluded stealth camp.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Correction, the thru-hiker campsite is between Possum Track and Bay Leaf Church Road.
    Here is a link to some information:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NCTrails/co...ection_hikers/

Quote Originally Posted by carouselambra View Post
    Camping is available at:
    Shinleaf Recreation Area The trail passes through here and has a bathroom and running water at the bathroom. Walk-in sites behind it.

There is a thru-hiker campsite 1/4 mile off the trail just north/west of Ravens Ridge Road heading toward Bay Leaf Church Road.

Rolling View has a camping area, but I am not sure how far it is off the trail.

Thanks all! I would look at an early spring hike, either in 2020 or 2021. I like the nearness to water and minimal road walking.

I'm out of AT sections in the South, so don't have much I can hike early.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I've day hiked all of section 10 over the past year. It's all easy walking - 20 miles/day is doable even in winter. I'd plan for 4-6 days to finish the segment depending on how fast you want to go.
    Even though I'm in good enough aerobic condition to string 20 milers on fairly flat terrain, I've been having foot issues this fall. I'd probably plan for 5 1/2 or 6 days.

This probably won't help you, but just in case it might, I did camp at Rolling View in late September. It was car camping. On the off chance you might end up there, the sites were VERY hard packed. Your tent/shelter should be freestanding or you'll have quite a challenge on your hands. Showers OK, not great (keep pressing button to re-start water), pretty tiny changing area just outside curtain in which to maneuver, and good luck keeping the spray off your dry clothes. No plugs or grated plugs in sinks for those who wear contact lenses.

I had considered Shinleaf but I was getting around by car anyway. I forget all my reasoning but that's where I ended up. The hard area for setup - not even a pad - convinced me that I need to keep a freestanding tent in my quiver of shelters. [My only FS tent was failing - hydrolysis of PU coating - and I considered just sticking with trekking pole tents. No more, I need a freestanding, cheap one for car camping - too often those pads/areas are terribly hardened and rough on tent materials]

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just in case the OP is still following.

I used to maintain the Falls Lake Trail. There are two SP campgrounds.

Three Primative campsites; one which I built (Possum Track/Cedar Creek). All are no water sources other than the lake.

The Eno River section is mostly SP trail and city/county easement between Hillsborough and Pennys Bend Preservce. No camping but easy to do in a day.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks, I got back to it much later, but this section is still on my radar screen.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The causeway at Hereford Road (near Hickory Hill Boat Ramp) collapsed some times ago and I think its still out. There is new trail route in place.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++