Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
Nobody said you had to fund another's hike.

And that is the crux of my contention. It is what you make of it. For you it's a vacation and thus should be self funded thus you feel like everyone should be self funded, as if they are not, the thru hike is not a vacation, but something more meaningful. So you need it to be a vacation, but please keep that to yourself, the AT is really much bigger than the box you try to put it in and respect other hikers and how they chose to hike their own hike.

As for charity work, let each person decide how they want to help please. Your solutions don't work for everyone. Also not everyone wants or needs your suggestion or a organization to help humanity. Actually I would argue that helping fro one's heart, and not at the suggestion of another's ideals as to how one must help and without the organization is more effective help for humanity. My way of giving back is gift of my gifts, what I excel at, what I am able to give abundantly, though sometimes it is needed to give out of one's scarcity, but as one is gifted, one should certainly give.
You say... " as if they are not, the thru hike is not a vacation, but something more meaningful." Why am I required to keep my thoughts to myself, but you are free to share your thoughts on this forum? You've asserted as fact what a thru-hike is. Why can't I do the same thing?

And you say... "As for charity work, let each person decide how they want to help please.". How have I interfered with anyone's choice? If I think it's gullible to donate to a thru-hike, how does that hurt anyone? Donate all you want.
I have sympathy for those in need. If an acquaintance needs food, I might help him buy groceries. If someone needs a place to stay, perhaps I'll help. If someone needs clothing, or education, or medical help, I may pitch in to help. But if someone comes to me and says they need to spend months on the trail "finding themselves" and would like my donation, I'll laugh in their face. And I consider myself a lover of the trail.

I have friends who live in Africa. Would you contribute part of your salary so they can spend 6 month in the wilderness (unemployed) "finding themselves"? Is it really such a good cause that perhaps World Vision should get involved to make sure African villagers can "find themselves" too? If this is so important, why do only rich westerners get a chance to "find themselves"? And should we chip in for those that want to bring Marijuana to make sure they can afford that too? (not accusing all thru-hikers of being drug users)

I'm not stopping anyone from thru-hiking and I'm not stopping anyone from asking for nor giving money for a thru-hike. Yet if my children were asked to donate to such a cause, I'd suggest their money would be best spent somewhere else.