Images

Default Thinking about a section of the FL trail soon....

... either in mid-December or mid January.

I would like to do about a 2-week+ section, starting at western terminus, Ft. Pickens, and hiking as far as I can to the east.

2 questions:

Is this a decent part of the trail in terms of a lot of things, coolness, good trail, not TOO much road walking, some remoteness, etc?

Is this a good time to do this? Any preferences for mid January vs. mid December? Probably not too much difference, a bit more daylight in January.

I have zero experience hiking in Florida, so any info appreciated.

If your choice doesn’t pan out, I would suggest the Ocean to Lake hike - 63 miles total
    This hike is a great primer for the FL trail. You hike through many varied environments and landscapes.

Hey Rob check out Jupiters' Ocean To Lake Tr connecting with the FT suggestions. A humper state high pointer like yourself with the better half it should be a romp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
    If your choice doesn’t pan out, I would suggest the Ocean to Lake hike - 63 miles total
    This hike is a great primer for the FL trail. You hike through many varied environments and landscapes.
    As Jupiter said. And he said he's done it 12 or so times.

Images

Thanks guys.... I have Jupiter's site up now, a lollipop that includes the Ocean to lake plus a stroll around lake Okeechobee might be cool. Again, thanks.

If you decide to piece together a few sections def do Rodman to Clearwater lake...75ish miles. I plan to do this section again this winter with my flea bags...Only a few hour drive to O2L and definitely more scenic than a levy walk around lake O....I’d recommend late Jan after deer season over as Bubba’s flood some parts....wear orange. Another few days on the Suwannee is a fun area also..I’ve paddled it many times, not hiked. Two years ago it hit nearly 20* in the ONF, froze my arse off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Just booked a cheap r/t to Orlando.

Very tentatively decided to start at ~mile 144 on the north end of Okeechobee, hike to Winter Springs (~mile 356), about 212 miles, maybe further if the miles fly by, I have 14-15 days. Really the only reason for this section is the easy logistics; there is an Enterprise rental office about a mile from the trail in Okeechobee, so I can rent one-way from Orlando airport, then Uber back to airport from Winter springs.

Does this sound like a decent section SS or anyone else? I could shift further north too. I've heard Ocala NF is pretty cool, easy to start near Orlando and hike into that area.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

That's a good section to do. I thru hiked the FT last year. You have a 30 mile road walk just north of Jane Green campsite (mile 297). You could skip this, not miss anything, and go 30 miles further north. You'd get the suburban Orlando section done which is definitely better than the road walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    That's a good section to do. I thru hiked the FT last year. You have a 30 mile road walk just north of Jane Green campsite (mile 297). You could skip this, not miss anything, and go 30 miles further north. You'd get the suburban Orlando section done which is definitely better than the road walk.
    Neither sounds appealing to me...road walk or Orlando suburban section....just my $.02....I’ve only done a few random sections on FT though......CR,let me know dates as I will be passing through Orlando several times this winter headed to tampa for work projects..I’d be happy to help if able.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Neither sounds appealing to me...road walk or Orlando suburban section....just my $.02....I’ve only done a few random sections on FT though......CR,let me know dates as I will be passing through Orlando several times this winter headed to tampa for work projects..I’d be happy to help if able.

Hey SS, can you tell me what your choice would be for a 250-ish mile segment? If I started a bit north of Orlando, can I minimize road walking? I don't mind a bit of it, heck, I'd probably just hitch through it if possible. I have no goals of ever completing the FT, basically, I just want to get a good feel of what hiking the FT is like, as I've done on other trails over the last couple of winters. All that is nailed down is flying into Orlando, uber-cheap flights from Denver ($208 roundtrip, direct).

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

The suburban Orlando section isn't bad. I recommend it. If your definition of a long trail is one that is only in the wilderness and away from people then you don't belong on the Florida Trail. A long hike on the Florida Trail is about discovering Florida and the diversity that our national scenic trails offer. Most of the Orlando section is on paved bike paths and you pass by lots of stores and services. A 30-mile hike around Orlando is only two days long and they have a really cool campsite right in the middle of it all. Impressive.

Images

The suburban Orlando section isn't bad. I recommend it. If your definition of a long trail is one that is only in the wilderness and away from people then you don't belong on the Florida Trail. A long hike on the Florida Trail is about discovering Florida and the diversity that our national scenic trails offer. Most of the Orlando section is on paved bike paths and you pass by lots of stores and services. A 30-mile hike around Orlando is only two days long and they have a really cool campsite right in the middle of it all. Impressive.
    Cool, great info! No, I do not define a "long trail" to be only in the wilderness, not at all. I want to do exactly what you say about "discovering Florida". Is that campsite right in the middle of the Orlando section obvious? Do you recall its name? I'll plan around staying there.

If you want to spend all your time hiking on trails in the woods and don’t mind driving a bit, google “Florida forest service Trailwalker program”. Hike trails all over the state, stay in campgrounds or motels (your choice), and get a nifty patch. Just a thought.

Agree..I’ve grown up here so Ive seen plenty of what Fl has to offer from both land and water.......I do want to hike the southern section through the glades as I’ve only paddled it....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Hey SS, can you tell me what your choice would be for a 250-ish mile segment? If I started a bit north of Orlando, can I minimize road walking? I don't mind a bit of it, heck, I'd probably just hitch through it if possible. I have no goals of ever completing the FT, basically, I just want to get a good feel of what hiking the FT is like, as I've done on other trails over the last couple of winters. All that is nailed down is flying into Orlando, uber-cheap flights from Denver ($208 roundtrip, direct).
    CR
    I’m not the right person as have only done few smaller sections in around mainly NE Fl and panhandle. O2L sounds like a good one also but if you want it all contiguous listen to those who have done it....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    $208 direct!!! Southwest??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    $208 direct!!! Southwest??

Yep, of course, Southwest.... $99 one way, $109 the other, direct, good times of day, amazing prices on SW as long as it's enough in advance. Looking forward to being out there in January! Will be nice to take a break from skiing...

Question: Orlando Airport has Uber service I assume, right? I'm going to start my hike 20 miles east of the airport on the Beeline (or is it now Beachline?), basically where 520 crosses it. Should be a cheap Uber ride.

They changed the name to Beachline as it is the straightest and fastest way "a beeline" to the beaches aroung Cocoa. Yes there is Uber.

Images

Last time I'll bother folks with this post; I'm currently with two plans, starting in early January.

Plan A is to start at the top of Lake Okeechobee and hike north as far as I can in two weeks, 14 total days of hiking, I'm guessing about 250 miles. This appears to be easier logistically, because I can rent a car at Orlando airport and drop it off in Okeechobee at an enterprise within a mile of the trail for about $90 (already reserved). And about two weeks of walking later, I'll be very near another Enterprise on the south end of Ocala NF. No prearranged shuttles required, easy-peasy.

Plan B is to start on Beachline hwy east of Orlando, accessed via an Uber, but would require a side trip to buy fuel, hike about the same amount north but mostly through Ocala NF, but the logistics of getting back to Orlando are TBD.

Basic question: ignoring logistics, is there a compelling reason for either plan with regard to quality of the trail and hiking?

Any info appreciated.

++ New Posts ++