WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The typical people I know on the AT that carry are LEO's and hunters BOTH of whom have above avg gun awareness and demonstrate above avg gun safety particularly among the hunter category if they are state required to complete a Gun Safety Class.
    ar
    Above average? My experience with your typical LEO is minuscule firearms training. Most cops take their duty pistol out of their holster once a year. We needed to reteach them how to field strip a glock every year at qualifications. This is what we found to be the norm. It's actually unfortunate because they are carrying a weapon with a greater likelihood to use it over a civilian. Your basic hunter education course is a joke. Seeming 9/10 times you never touch a loaded weapon. I find hunters always flagging others or themselves with unloaded guns all the time which is still a no go. The main problem with your basic LEO is they very rarely get any training on moving with a pistol out. Standing in a shooting lane at Mr Paper Silhouette is one thing. Tell them to twirl around in a 360 and it all goes to hell. One thing I learned about cops was just like military folk.. most are not gun people. They are just issued one and hope they never have to use it. Then theres the select few who enjoy the sport and practice once a week

Most LEO at least have the capacity to keep it holstered on trail and not want to ahow it off..

I saw 4 loaded pistols out of their holsters on the AT lol. People just love to show them pieces off. They think because of my background that I would LOVE to check out their basic plastic blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Above average? My experience with your typical LEO is minuscule firearms training. Most cops take their duty pistol out of their holster once a year. We needed to reteach them how to field strip a glock every year at qualifications. This is what we found to be the norm. It's actually unfortunate because they are carrying a weapon with a greater likelihood to use it over a civilian. Your basic hunter education course is a joke. Seeming 9/10 times you never touch a loaded weapon. I find hunters always flagging others or themselves with unloaded guns all the time which is still a no go. The main problem with your basic LEO is they very rarely get any training on moving with a pistol out. Standing in a shooting lane at Mr Paper Silhouette is one thing. Tell them to twirl around in a 360 and it all goes to hell. One thing I learned about cops was just like military folk.. most are not gun people. They are just issued one and hope they never have to use it. Then theres the select few who enjoy the sport and practice once a week

Most LEO at least have the capacity to keep it holstered on trail and not want to ahow it off..

I saw 4 loaded pistols out of their holsters on the AT lol. People just love to show them pieces off. They think because of my background that I would LOVE to check out their basic plastic blaster.
    What experience do you have with LEOs, that forms the basis of your opinion?

My weapon carries it’s self!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur 100%.

I carry a small folding knife 2-3” blade and pepper spray. Nothing too scary

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    So you refuse to go into the woods without violating the law because of your own personal terror?
    Carrying a gun is perfectly legal on many parts of the trail and many hikers with a concealed carry license carry a fire arm and you don’t even know it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieDust66 View Post
    Carrying a gun is perfectly legal on many parts of the trail and many hikers with a concealed carry license carry a fire arm and you don’t even know it.

I'm aware of that. Not the point we were discussing at the time.

having a knife wont do you much good as protection since thats hand to hand combat. Supposing you are confronted with a gun? OH so now you need a gun? how about a taser gun? where does it stop? Anyone coming into your site that looks threatening, take a picture of the person with your phone or start the video mode so you can record any incident to show police.

I like the dog defense, but now you need to carry more stuff for the dog unless he or she can carry its own.

If someone is going to rob you, they are going to do it no matter what you carry. So why bother?

Journal Entries
    Images

That is a beautiful creature!

Scary/friendly, dignified/goofy all at the same time— the way I see him, anyway. If pictures are are reflection of reality, he seems just perfect.

What’s the breed?

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    having a knife wont do you much good as protection since thats hand to hand combat. Supposing you are confronted with a gun? OH so now you need a gun? how about a taser gun? where does it stop? Anyone coming into your site that looks threatening, take a picture of the person with your phone or start the video mode so you can record any incident to show police.

I like the dog defense, but now you need to carry more stuff for the dog unless he or she can carry its own.

If someone is going to rob you, they are going to do it no matter what you carry. So why bother?
    Well now it all depends on how good you are with that knife . No not much you can do against a gun especially if they keep a distance. It doesn't stop stay prepared and protect yourself. I agree with the phone but sometimes that will just piss somebody off more if they're being hostile to begin with. i agree with the dogs, Dogs are awesome salty has some beautiful dogs I have a pitbull. And those last 2 sentences really!!??

"This is what we found to be the norm." Who is we? " I find hunters always flagging others or themselves with unloaded guns all the time which is still a no go. " " they think because of my background that I would love to check out their basic plastic blaster. " just curious could you elaborate a bit?

But having quoted all that, all good in the woods if you don't. Sometimes I don't.

I can spray, my EDC, and the very sharp multifunction bad boy pictured below

Excellent, I don't know if this has been mentioned but here goes , I think tent stakes would make for a great self protection increment. If you you have the opportunity and the situation calls for it. Stick your stakes in your pocket or hand and placed in certain areas of the human body neck, eyes, heart , radial artery, femoral artery, groin. You might just be victorious and not the victim!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Excellent, I don't know if this has been mentioned but here goes , I think tent stakes would make for a great self protection increment. If you you have the opportunity and the situation calls for it. Stick your stakes in your pocket or hand and placed in certain areas of the human body neck, eyes, heart , radial artery, femoral artery, groin. You might just be victorious and not the victim!
    or you might just freeze and crap yourself when confronted with an agressor with a knife or a gun.

Some of y'all maybe, but not this humanoid. I've made it a point in my life to possess a certain set of survivor skills. On trail and off!! Good luck to you!!

I don't mean to be so harsh, but come on, we are are talking about your life! Crapping yourself might even be a option especially when you've eaten Mexican! Whew look out!!

And I'm not looking for arguments or disagreements. I'm simply looking to save another life.

It's a shame what today is like. I'm 73 years old and before I was a teenager I was taught to Never go into the woods without a knife and matches. Still follow that rule today. The woods have always been my safe place and will continue to be, a few bad apples and fear will not destroy that.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    And I'm not looking for arguments or disagreements. I'm simply looking to save another life.
    Most people do freeze when confronted by a threat.

I have a perfect example and it cracks me up EVERYTIME.

We take a group of individuals and get them much better than your average joe with a defensive pistol. Drawing from holster, reloads, malfunction drills, moving, communicating, etcetera. They're actually pretty good shots at this point. Out to 25 to boot.

We started with paper silhouttes. And then we moved onto a paper bad guy with a gun pointed at you. Same idea. But now theres a bad guy with a gun rather than an innocent blob.

For the last 4000 rounds. Everyone always waited my command "UP" to run thru a drill. And the drill was to shoot the bad guy with a gun. Lots and lots of dead bad paper bad guys.

Now everyones on the line. Everyones locked and loaded. Everyones feeling confident.

I yell.. "That guys got a gun" pointing at the paper bad guy.

99% of the time. Noone shoots him. Noone. Everyone looks around and doesn't know what to do lol. Everyone is baffled. Then I pull out my pistol and shoot them. Because someone had to.

Then everyone realizes what happened. That their brain failed them because it got wired a certain way. Noone yells "UP" when someones coming into a place with a weapon.

You'd think when someones screams "That dudes got a gun" while pointing at said gentleman. A line full of 10-12 proficient pistol shooters would ventilate the crap out of them...but.. crickets.

The brain is weird thing to train.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++