Thread: Big Cypress

Default Big Cypress

I have Christmas and New Years week off from work. I am thinking of doing a hike thru the Big Cypress swamp on the FT during one of those weeks. Wanna get out in my tent for a few nights.

Am thinking of hiking from the Oasis Visitors Center up to Nobles Camp and then back. Or, from I-75 up to Nobles Camp down to Oasis and then back to I-75.

Couple of questions;
    1) anyone have any issues leaving a car at Oasis or alligator alley?
    2) there is a loop trail north of 75. Anyone know the distance from panther camp to nobles?it's not on the gov map.
    3) shoe wear. I usually wear Salomons when hiking on the AT. What to wear thru swamp? Old sneakers?

Any other info would info great

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1-I left my car at the trailhead at Alligator Alley twice with no issues. Hopefully you won't have issues either.

2-According to the FTA map, it's 5.1 miles from Panther camp to Nobles.

3-Anything that drains well and will stay securely on your feet while the muck tries to suck them off.

It's been a couple years since I did the FT part of this section. I did not do the blue blaze to make a loop. I recall it was fairly easy, as in old forest roads. Lot's of gators in the canal and evidence they occasionally venture onto the trail although I didn't see any on the trail.

Appreciate the info man. Thanks. I'm guessing you parked your car in the lot by the fire station?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I parked in the parking lot on the north side of I75. A few semi trucks and one other hiker.

The local trail maintainers in that area may have a up to date info - try https://www.facebook.com/groups/67137159048/

Tried to attach map
    Attached Files Attached Files

++ New Posts ++