WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Permethrin

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    If you treat your socks, pants/shorts, t shirt/shirt with permethrin, how do ticks get passed those clothing items to end up on your nether regions? Had that happen before Insectashield but never since I had my clothes (but not underwear) treated.
    Depending on what I'm wearing there can be a gap along my leg where a tick could crawl up without making much (or any) contact with my running shorts. Ticks generally climb onto their hosts from low grasses and small shrubs that you brush up against while walking (or sit on) so unless you are wearing pants and tucking them in I would think that there is always some risk of a tick getting over your shoes & sock line. This is all just my own opinion though - HYOH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Depending on what I'm wearing there can be a gap along my leg where a tick could crawl up without making much (or any) contact with my running shorts.
    Exactly! My wife and I both wore tight underwear with legs. And those underwear were treated with Permethrin. A tick was going to have to spend a fair amount of time in direct contact with that fabric before finding a home in our nether regions...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    If you treat your socks, pants/shorts, t shirt/shirt with permethrin, how do ticks get passed those clothing items to end up on your nether regions? Had that happen before Insectashield but never since I had my clothes (but not underwear) treated.

One reason is some folks take the one product approach ignoring the extent of the biting insect pressure and the specific insects seeking repellancy from. Picaradin, DEET and herbal repellants are made for bare skin. I tend to overwhelmingly take a cumulative approach. Ticks can still land on bare untreated skin and travel to nether regions. Instead of treating under garments which is turning a blind eye to well communicated usage directions for a pesticide such as permethrin, I may treat my skin with picaradin or a herbal repellant such as a ring around each leg higher up under my shorts or briefs and around my waist just below the hem line. Cuffs and neck line get equal attention.

For me, it's not always just about applying products either. So many websites devote so much to these other tactics and techniques.
    Last edited by Dogwood; 11-13-2019 at 19:26.

Coming from a farmer point of view, I spray my dogs, goats and sheep with permethrin during tick season with no ill effects to them or me. I find it way more effective than DEET. After contracting RMSF twice and alpha-gal I'll take my chances by washing/spraying my hiking gear in permethrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Depending on what I'm wearing there can be a gap along my leg where a tick could crawl up without making much (or any) contact with my running shorts. Ticks generally climb onto their hosts from low grasses and small shrubs that you brush up against while walking (or sit on) so unless you are wearing pants and tucking them in I would think that there is always some risk of a tick getting over your shoes & sock line. This is all just my own opinion though - HYOH!
    Here is an interesting article about how permethrin treated clothing affects ticks ability to walk and bite.
    https://entomologytoday.org/2018/05/...ated-clothing/

Here is a portion of it:

“All tested tick species and life stages experienced irritation—the ‘hot-foot’ effect—after coming into contact with permethrin-treated clothing,” says Lars Eisen, Ph.D., research entomologist at the CDC’s National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases and senior author on the study. “This caused the ticks to drop off from a vertically oriented treated textile designed to mimic a pant leg or the arm of a shirt. We also found that sustained contact with permethrin-treated clothing—up to 5 minutes—resulted in loss of normal movement for all examined tick species and life stages, leaving them unable to bite.”
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++