WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default South Fork Mills River Tr.

Anyone do this trail? I was considering this as a cold weather late Nov leg of an Art Loeb Tr hike. How are the water crossings? Where're the nearest public transportation TH's? I know that's kind of generalized but any info would be appreciated. Seeking to put this together on short notice.

Trail head is Turkey Pen. I guess you mean to finish Art Loeb at Davidson River Campground and meander over to the Turkey Pen Trail head using any of a few of the Pink Beds area trails? That is a good thing to do. Those are good if slightly over-loved trails - especially on weekends. Turkey Pen is safe for parking but pay attention to the signs - if you park in areas designated for horse trailers you will get ticketed and possibly towed. Any of the outfitters in Brevard will shuttle. Especially close to Turkey Pen is a place by called The Bicycle Farm or something like that - you might want to check in with them. It is hunting season - and that is a heavy use area so stay where the hunters expect you to be and be visible. You will encounter bicycles also - not annoying but more on weekends. As for the trails in that area they are easy-average for Pisgah, and well maintained. The main river crossings have bridges - you will get knees wet on a couple but not major problems. You will be close to both Oskar Blues Brewery and Sierra Nevada. I like Oskar Blues but Sierra Nevada is like Disney World. But given my 'druthers, I'druther go to New Belgium in Asheville.

THX Mr Bumpy. Any others with info? I'm being a bit lazy but here's your time to discuss what you know Pisgah stompers.

If you are going the full length of the South Mills River trail, there are perhaps 10 river crossings without bridges. 3 bridges are within a couple miles of Turkey Pen parking area.
    https://www.carolinamountainclub.org...ge/Hike-Search
    search hike #370

The club has done this hike as a "key swap" since the shuttle is so long, like an hour each way. And only in summer.
    Either access road could be closed for various reasons, and on short notice.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc...d=fseprd529172
    Last edited by Mike Goodman; 11-09-2019 at 18:57.

Here's the cmc hike map with annotations
    https://www.carolinamtnclub.org/_map...TOKEN=20692579

That's what I was seeking. Going to do a about 8-10 day loop. It's more popular in hot weather so figured i'd gi in fall. going to be chilly doing the fords. THX.

++ New Posts ++