WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tick born illnesses

While Lyme disease is a real concern in the woods anywhere, no one is mentioning rocky mountain spotted fever or alpha gal. RMSF has a lot of the same symptoms as Lyme and you'll likely get the same antibiotic; doxycycline. Test results aren't immediate, either. A rash doesn't always happen with RMSF, either.

If you're a thru-hiker or lasher and have seen a trail doc, following up with your pcp when your hike is over is equally, if not more so, than the trail doc visit. Both can have life-long consequences.

Alpha Gal is also contracted by a tick bite. Lonestars are considered the main culprit but research suggests deer and dog ticks are also carriers (Dr. Commins @UNC). They call it " the red meat" allergy but nothing could be further from the truth. It's a mammal allergy. Anything that nurses it's young is a mammal, except a platypus. Fun facts: Medicines often use mammal "parts". Heparin has pork, for example. Collagen can be plant or mammal derived (hair products, lotions, makeup). Cheese, milk, dairy....

Alpha Gal can cause an anaphylactic reaction if they consume or use something with mammal ingredients. We have to carry epi pens. Some people are sensitive enough to react to fumes. I'm grateful that I only react to pork.

I'm not trying to be a downer. The focus is mainly on Lyme because that's where the research dollars are going. I'm speaking from experience, one I wish I didn't have.

Hike aware and safe!

Leonidas

Picked up RMSP last year on a Pinhoti Trail hike. Finally went to the doctor and figured it out 5-6 months later.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I started a thread on this subject before. Probably my biggest fear a tick . People ask me aren't you afraid of bears,snakes, crazy people well a little but ticks are a huge concern. A guy I work with had a lone star tick attached to him he picked it up in his back yard suburbs not even country. He sent me a picture and I knew what it was I told him to go to urgent care to have it removed I told him what kind of tick and what it can do, he relayed the message to the urgent care and they laughed until they looked it up and found I was correct. So there needs to be more awareness and education on this. I've also heard of some kind of Asian tick making its way this way.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am AlphaGal positive (and my trail name) - contracted on the AT in Northern SNP (Gravel Spring Shelter to be exact). It is a relatively rare condition compared to anything else you might get from a tick. It is an allergy and has no cure. It takes a long while to figure out exactly what foods contain the carbohydrate, but can be controlled with very careful diet once you figure it out.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I contracted Alpha Gal summer of 2018 but got my official diagnosis this February. I am so blessed and grateful that I only react to pork.

I got Alpha Gal after a lone star bite in 2015. I had no idea and had to go to the ER in the middle of the night with anaphylaxis after an evening burger. Since, I did get reactions from eating pork or some meat but it has mostly disappeared and I no longer have reactions for pork and most meat. My big test will be soon when I grill up an awesome organic burger on my BGE. I really miss those. Wear treated long pants, socks shoes at all times when hiking. You definitely do not want this malady.

Images

In 2000 I won the lottery and got Colorado Tick Fever... awful.

Only 83 cases nationwide reported between 2002-2012...

++ New Posts ++