WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth

Images

Lightbulb Google Earth

Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I worked out a pretty easy way to use Google Earth to display a 3D projection of the trail. Obviously, it's not really useful in the sense that you could use it for trip planning, but for someone interested in maps/GIS like myself, it's pretty cool to actually see the trail traversing the mountains and valleys. The screen shot I attached is for a section hike I'm planning next month.

Anyone else used Google Earth of any other software to do something similar?

Images

how do you get google to show the trail?

Images

There's probably an easier way, but at any rate what I did was this:

1. Download the AT GIS centerline data from the ATC:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...d_GPS_Data.htm

2. Then imported that data into Microsoft Mappoint to produce a picture of the data. (There might be a way to skip this step and go straight to Google Earth, but I haven't figured it out yet)

3. Then overlayed that picture on Google Earth (Add - Image Overlay) and positioned and resized it so that it lined up correctly.

There are also some ways to share data with other people directly via Google Earth, but again, I haven't looked into that yet either.

Images

Another screenshot... doesn't really show anything different, just shows the horizon to give a better sense of perspective.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

The Problem with Google earth is the resolution of non-populated areas. The resolution is great for the city of Cincinnati (found out my neighbors had a pool), but poor for the small town my parents live in (could barely make out the whole town).

I think it would be great for some areas but bad for most of it. Just another fun thing to play with.

Images

I think if you buy a google earth subscribtion you get better and more up to date photos. The one showing my house is from four years ago.

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

Okay, here is another vantage point... maybe I should have put this under the "Are you sure you want to thru-hike the AT" thread.... Yikes!

http://www.ellishiking.com/pictures/...leearth_AT.jpg

You can also download place markers for the shelters with info about location, water and capacity, see the following link...

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthrea...p/Number/21124

So am I looking at Pearisburg in those thumbnails or what?
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

If you're familiar with javascript, you can use Google's public map API to make a web version of the trail.

That's what I did for my upcoming thru: Russ' At Progress map

That way people who don't have Google Earth can follow along. With a little help from a support person it will be an interactive way of helping people visualize where I'm at, and where I've been.

What is Mappoint?
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Russ that is sweet! Are you updating it through a db or something along the way? Or do you have someone back home adding stuff?

Truly awesome stuff.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackHack
    Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I worked out a pretty easy way to use Google Earth to display a 3D projection of the trail....
    I'm impressed!!!! Too bad Google Earth requires broadband and Windows XP, though.

Still, I love maps and have never been able to see where I've hiked from or am hiking to, on the ground, good enough for me. This would definitely help.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by dje97001
    Russ that is sweet! Are you updating it through a db or something along the way? Or do you have someone back home adding stuff?

Truly awesome stuff.
    Thanks Dje.

I've got someone back home that I've "trained" on how to update it. It's the same person that is transcribing my journal for posting. The updating isn't hard to do, it's just a couple of notepad edits to an xml file.

If anyone is intersted in a more thorough explanation, or a walk-through on how to set it up, let me know; I'd be happy to provide whatever support I can. A warning though: I'm no expert - this was my first crack at anything this complicated from a coding point of view. The data comes from the ATC, and most of the code I copy/pasted from online tutorials, so I have no feelings of ownership of any of it, and would be happy to help. (on the flip side: if anyone who really does know javascript/gmap api code wants to improve this and send it back to me, I'd be open to that too. )

Images

Useful or not, that's very cool!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OutbackHack
    Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I worked out a pretty easy way to use Google Earth to display a 3D projection of the trail. Obviously, it's not really useful in the sense that you could use it for trip planning, but for someone interested in maps/GIS like myself, it's pretty cool to actually see the trail traversing the mountains and valleys. The screen shot I attached is for a section hike I'm planning next month.

Anyone else used Google Earth of any other software to do something similar?
    Very cool....Thanks!!!!
    Camich

LOL.... that looks like something SGT Rock was playing around with on Google Earth. I can't remember if he drew in the trail or not, but I know there were "stick pins" all over the place...LOL.

Good Job!

Thumbs up

....Sweet!

Images

Very cool!!! I don't have the time to fool around with maps/GIS the way I'd like, but I spent several hours messing with Google Earth a few weeks ago and managed to find the Trail in GA. I can't wait to get home to be able to see all of the links you've posted (my computer @ work is old and slow). I did steal dje's picture for my background, though.

Images

Rusty, that is possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++