WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT North heading from Newfound Gap

Can anyone tell me if there are any trailhead or roads that come near the AT heading North out of Newfound Gap? I will be in the GSM in March with my family and was trying to figure out if I can do some day hikes heading North and be picked up at night. Thank you.

Journal Entries

Distance from NFG to Davenport Gap at the north end of the park is 31.4 miles. If your intent is to complete those 31.4 miles, then dayhikes are impractical.

One possibility might be ending your AT miles one day at Low Gap, then hiking an additional 2.5+ down to Cosby Campground. Of course the next day, you'd have to rehike those 2.5 miles, making the last day almost 10 miles.

Next possibilities are hiking into Cosby from Inadu Knob area, which adds one-way miles of 5.5 or 8, depending on which route you take.

I can't see anything else that remotely fits your criteria.

You can see this for yourself at the online map linked below.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...omplete4-2.pdf

Nope. There is only one road which crosses the AT in the park and that is at New Found gap. Then it's 31 miles north to the next road or 40 miles back to Fontana dam.

If you want to slack pack by having your family drop you off and pick you up at the end of the day, it will have to be before or after the park and even then, getting from one road crossing to another can involve a lot of driving to get around the mountains.

Keep in mind that cell phone coverage in that area is real spotty to non-existent, so making contact with your family to arrange meetings will be difficult.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The 31 miles from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap is on a nicely maintained trail. Easy hiking, especially going north. But that’s a bunch of miles for one day.

Another great option is to hike from Newfound Gap to Charlie’s Bunion and back on the AT. Hit it on a good weather day for excellent views. About 8 miles round trip.

You can also hike Clingman’s Dome to Newfound Gap. About 8 miles. Parking at Clingman’s Dome is often impossible, so start there and get picked up at Newfound Gap where parking is easy.

The last option is the Clingman’s Dome parking lot to Fontana Dam. 34 miles. Again, this is likely more than you wanted in a day.

I’ve done all these as day hikes.

GSMNP trails map here.

The weather in March on the ridge will be very cold, and winter storms are a strong possibility. Make sure that you and your family are prepared with the proper clothing, footwear, gaiters, etc. Hiking in wintery conditions will be much slower and strenuous than at other times; and the hours of daylight will be a factor. Even the 8 mi from Clingman's to Newfound Gap could be quite challenging in bad weather.

[QUOTE=FreeGoldRush;2256901]
    Another great option is to hike from Newfound Gap to Charlie’s Bunion and back on the AT. Hit it on a good weather day for excellent views. About 8 miles round trip. [QUOTE]

Actually, it's closer to 10 miles round trip (4.8 one way). Anyway, I don't think he's looking for day hikes with the family, sounds more like he wants to slack pack.

Also, this will be sometime in March so getting a good weather day when you want it would be a stroke of good luck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Ugh, so end of March is a bad idea?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    Ugh, so end of March is a bad idea?
    That time of year the road could be closed as well.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there are any trailhead or roads that come near the AT heading North out of Newfound Gap? I will be in the GSM in March with my family and was trying to figure out if I can do some day hikes heading North and be picked up at night. Thank you.
    Given the other responses (all accurate) you might consider a different strategy; start lower, hike up to the AT, enjoy the view, then hike back down (same trail or a loop, LOTS of possibilities for that.) Or if 441 is open, let them drop you at Newfound then hike along the AT then down on side trails and have them pick you up at the lower trailhead, campground, whatever. Trail maps are online, easy to find.

-

new found to davenport is actually the most remote section of the AT - in the middle, 16ish mi by any trail to the closest road

++ New Posts ++