WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For winter mountaineering, where you might be out for a defined periode of (guessing) 2-3 days in a row and know the weather beforehand, I would be with you. Don't belive that chemical handwarmers would be efficient enough for the specific case.

For hiking over a periode of 2 months, of which any number of nights might be cold, I'd rather go with a better bag, or use two light bags initially and send one home after the cold had ceased.

Maybe it comes down to habits and conditioning, the same way you and your wife, after a really cold day out, are looking forward to a hot water bottle in the bag the same way I'm looking forward to my extra warm sleeping bag.

BTW, hadn't there been a thread here once about this very same topic, where someone did all the math how many fuel one would need to carry extra, and how it would compare to carrying better insulation?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    For winter mountaineering, where you might be out for a defined periode of (guessing) 2-3 days in a row and know the weather beforehand, I would be with you. Don't belive that chemical handwarmers would be efficient enough for the specific case.

For hiking over a periode of 2 months, of which any number of nights might be cold, I'd rather go with a better bag, or use two light bags initially and send one home after the cold had ceased.

Maybe it comes down to habits and conditioning, the same way you and your wife, after a really cold day out, are looking forward to a hot water bottle in the bag the same way I'm looking forward to my extra warm sleeping bag.

BTW, hadn't there been a thread here once about this very same topic, where someone did all the math how many fuel one would need to carry extra, and how it would compare to carrying better insulation?
    Yep, all good points. Nothing like crawling into a REALLY puffy, warm bag on a cold evening!

And yeah, I think there have been multiple threads on this subject, but I cannot remember details.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++