WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Hiker Permit Cards at BSP

Just curious since I have not heard much this year regarding the permit card at BSP. The number of cards was set at 3150 this year. Now that the hiker season is almost finished anyone have an idea on how many permits were used this year? I know this issue created quite a stir when it was first implemented.
    More walking, less talking.

They're at about 1200 NoBos as of the other day. I've forgotten the total cards issued.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    They're at about 1200 NoBos as of the other day. I've forgotten the total cards issued.
    There can't be many left now, their running out of time. The extended mild fall weather has been a help for sure. If that # includes HMW section "thru" hikers, then it sounds like numbers are down a lot this season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For what it's worth I was #1280 when I checked in last year on 10/17
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Journal Entries

Perhaps the 'fad' of thru hiking has passed with the movies of that subject, though inspiring those who truly have the call for years to come and the numbers will stabilize at it's new level. It was a rough few years.

My guess is that the publicity changed folks behavior more than a drop in actual thru hiker traffic . It was pretty standard for many folks that were not thru hikers to go into the park via Abol Bridge to get into the Birches with no reservations and claim to be thru hikers. I expect many of those folks are now planning in advance and making reservations and not registering as thru hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It was pretty standard for many folks that were not thru hikers to go into the park via Abol Bridge to get into the Birches with no reservations and claim to be thru hikers.
    That doesn't happen.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++