WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stashing a suitcase in Harpers Ferry for a week?

Hello!

I'll be doing a section hike SOBO from Harpers Ferry starting next Wednesday (10/23). I am looking to simply leave a suitcase in HF for eight days, as I intend to drive back north through HF the following week to retrieve it.

Any suggestions?

(For what it's worth, I'm flying into DC early on 10/23 and taking the Amtrak to HF, so I will not arrive in HF until after the ATC closes for the day.)

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure the ATC would want to be responsible for holding your luggage for a week anyway. Your going to want to stay at one of the hostels for the night. I'd check them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

That’s an interesting question! Do you have to check luggage? Could you carry on your pack/gear? Or, if not, check your backpack and gear in a “disposable” duffel? That’d eliminate luggage storage. Alternatively, several hostels in town would almost surely watch your luggage for you, maybe free maybe for a price? Closest to the trail might be Towns In, closest to ATC might be Tea Horse Hostel.

You could easily buy another (or you may not need to if you’re driving anyways)

Thank you for the quick replies! I appreciate suggestions for the specific hostels.
    Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    That’s an interesting question! Do you have to check luggage? Could you carry on your pack/gear? Or, if not, check your backpack and gear in a “disposable” duffel? That’d eliminate luggage storage. Alternatively, several hostels in town would almost surely watch your luggage for you, maybe free maybe for a price? Closest to the trail might be Towns In, closest to ATC might be Tea Horse Hostel.
    I will be checking my backpack as luggage (flying Frontier). I am not concerned about the flight logistics... After the section hike, I'll be spending a few days in civilization, so I'll just have a small bag of stuff for that (my "personal item").

It's a good thought, but I will not be able to take this luggage with me (on the section hike); I am planning on eight days without a re-supply as it is....

By the way, I plan to begin hiking SOBO the evening that I arrive in HF (Amtrak arrives at 5:16pm). It would be nice to get a good start and make it to David Lesser Shelter that night (8.7 miles). Any concerns there (aside from hiking in the dark and disturbing other hikers upon my arrival)?

Thanks again!

If you can fit the stuff in say a USPS flat rate box or regular box you could mail it to yourself either home or general delivery or a friend's.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Do you often hike in the dark? I do it often enough that I wouldn't plan 8.7 miles on the way in. I would personally pay for it the next day in most cases (late start). If you know your night pace cool but I adjust mine down, I consider about a 25% reduction these days.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Go for it. Might as well avoid a hostelhotel fee if you don't need one. If you don't mind the dark, you'll be fine. Be kind and effusively polite in your late arrival and you'll also be fine. If you're carrying shelter anyways then no need to worry. The water at Lesser is way way way way way way way down hill but cold and delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    Thank you for the quick replies! I appreciate suggestions for the specific hostels.

I will be checking my backpack as luggage (flying Frontier). I am not concerned about the flight logistics... After the section hike, I'll be spending a few days in civilization, so I'll just have a small bag of stuff for that (my "personal item").

It's a good thought, but I will not be able to take this luggage with me (on the section hike); I am planning on eight days without a re-supply as it is....

By the way, I plan to begin hiking SOBO the evening that I arrive in HF (Amtrak arrives at 5:16pm). It would be nice to get a good start and make it to David Lesser Shelter that night (8.7 miles). Any concerns there (aside from hiking in the dark and disturbing other hikers upon my arrival)?

Thanks again!

might the Amtrak station have a locker you could rent?

You're flying with all your food and gear! I just put that together. Rad!

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Do you often hike in the dark? I do it often enough that I wouldn't plan 8.7 miles on the way in. I would personally pay for it the next day in most cases (late start). If you know your night pace cool but I adjust mine down, I consider about a 25% reduction these days.
    Fair concern; many an alpine start have I had here in Colorado My rough math would have me at David Lesser Shelter by 11pm (or 9pm MDT!) which doesn't seem too bad.

Go for it. Might as well avoid a hostelhotel fee if you don't need one. If you don't mind the dark, you'll be fine. Be kind and effusively polite in your late arrival and you'll also be fine. If you're carrying shelter anyways then no need to worry. The water at Lesser is way way way way way way way down hill but cold and delicious.
    Yep... I'm a cheapskate... (Additional evidence: flying Frontier, and this entire thread)

Yes, I'll be carrying shelter as well; will there be solid dispersed sites between HF and Lesser? Or should I just plan on Lesser?

VERY helpful to know about Lesser's water source, thank you! I suppose I'll just begin from HF with ~3 liters so that I won't need to worry about water until the morning

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    might the Amtrak station have a locker you could rent?
    This was almost a great idea! Although it looks like they do not, based on Amtrak's website.

You're flying with all your food and gear! I just put that together. Rad!
    Rad, indeed! Though thanks for the reminder: I will need to find propane upon my arrival. I did leave one in the Free Box in the ATC in April, maybe I can just hope it is still there

four miles south of harpers ferry is a great (dry) campsite. I think there is a small option near Keys Gap crossing, and then David Lesser but that's all I recall. Have fun!

It will be dark or getting dark when you arrive. The climb out of the river valley is fairly steep and rocky. If there are a lot of leaves on the ground, it might be a little tricky keeping track of the trail in the dark. Once on the ridge, the trail levels out a bit but a lot of little stumbley rocks if I remember right.

There is a campsite about 3.5 miles south, but there is no water of course. BTW water at David Lesser is a bit of walk, steeply down hill. But you have to do it as the next water is a ways off.

It's only $30 to stay at the hostel. Leaving in the morning rested and able to put in a full day is priceless. You mentioned fuel cylinder. You'd either have to hit the outfitter in town (who will likely be closed when you get there) or go to the Teahorse hostel as he stocks it. Once there, you might as well stay...

The only locker is in DC. I think it's $20 a day. Harpers Ferry is a whistle stop. Just a loading platform. If you have a bunch of stuff you don't want to carry around after the hike, hitting the PO and mailing it home is a good option. That way you don't have to go back to where you stashed it.

Behind union station in dc is the new flagship REI

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    By the way, I plan to begin hiking SOBO the evening that I arrive in HF (Amtrak arrives at 5:16pm). It would be nice to get a good start and make it to David Lesser Shelter that night (8.7 miles). Any concerns there (aside from hiking in the dark and disturbing other hikers upon my arrival................
    How about stove fuel? I don't think you can bring it on the plane. Amtrak was over an hour late the time I took it from DC to Harper's Ferry and the outfitters in HF was closed before I got there.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I would recommend staying at the Teahorse Hostel and take off fresh and well rested in the morning. Somethings are well worth the money.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Behind union station in dc is the new flagship REI
    That's good to know. I often have half a day to waste in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I would recommend staying at the Teahorse Hostel and take off fresh and well rested in the morning. Somethings are well worth the money.
    Be sure they are open. This hostel is for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Be sure they are open. This hostel is for sale.

Their open until October 30th, then close for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

Leaving in the morning rested and able to put in a full day is priceless

^^^^^^this^^^^^^

and the hostel could hold the bag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++