WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Last minute Georgia bug report?

Hey all,
    We'll be hiking from Unicoi to Deep Gap in about a week and I was wondering what the mosquito/tick situation is this time of year? Any other biting bugs that I should be worried about as well? Many thanks...

There are no bugs out other than a few nats. I just finished up a thru hike at Springer. GA is very mild and pleasant right now.

Images

Be alert for yellow jackets.

My friend got stung last week by a random yellow jacket as we were breaking camp at Bone Valley in GSMNP. We had been there the previous evening and overnight and had not seen any activity. This wasp seemed to just appear and sting him on the arm for no apparent reason.

For some reason the striped devils get really aggressive this time of year.

Good news/bad news, thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

+1 on the yellow jacket alert. though this cooler weather will keep them in their nests more and their numbers will start to decrease. our group had one guy with about 12 stings and we ran into a couple coming from the other direction who got about 20 stings in a completely different place.

the other insects are virtually gone, not even the annoying mosquitoes around watering holes.

on a plus, we've had a little rain (some places in the mountains more) which means it will likely not take you 10 minutes to fill up a liter bottle.

Just did woody gap to bly gap. No biting insects but yellow jackets. big nest right beside culvert pipe on tray mountain road to left of pipe. Water was few and far between. There was 5 gallons of water waiting on us After tesnatee gap. Thank you for the water it was needed.

++ New Posts ++