WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Stayed in Thomas Knob last Wednesday night. 50+ mph winds, 20 degrees (F), and a clear sky with a full moon. Seems there is a new resident skunk there over the last few weeks that can climb the ladder into the loft as well. My dog was with us and about 2:00am woke me up growling and sure enough, there was Mr. Skunk looking into the shelter but not thinking about crossing the path of my dog. Entries in the shelter register showed hanging bags in the loft thwarted his pillaging efforts though he did get into some packs and messed up some first aid kits. Privy was in good shape too.

Images

Stayed there 1 Jun 06. Could see daylight through the roof in several places. Pony's was within ten foot of the shelter. New privy only half completed. Corral around the water need's repair to keep the pony's out. Enjoyed the stay there.
    Rigormortis

This was a nice shelter in 2004 but great tentsites 0.5 north where we camped. We saw a couple of deer on their hind legs "boxing" from our field. In the middle of the night something was making noise outside our tent and it was two ponies tearing grass out of the ground right next to the tent. After a few minutes the alpha pony for the herd ran by with a dozen buddies and our two tore off with them. One beggar was back for breakfast though. ps The privy was a mess.

Great shelter! Bad Location! It needed to be off the ridge line. When we were there it was so foggy you couldn't see anything but the shelter itself is excellent.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by white rabbit
    Great shelter! Bad Location! It needed to be off the ridge line. When we were there it was so foggy you couldn't see anything but the shelter itself is excellent.

They must have used some chinking to fill in the gaps where all that wind, rain, and snow was getting in. Or did they?

I think the location of the former shelter at Deep Gap made more sense and was out of the elements compared to Thomas Knob, tho the area immediately around it was in need of a rest. If you look at the mileage, having a shelter at Deep Gap spaces out the distance between Lost Mt. Shelter and Wise Shelter better, and puts a shelter closer to the mid-point of those two. Of course, when there was a shelter at Deep Gap those other two didn't even exist...but today having a shelter there or near there would serve hikers better.

The area where Deep Gap Shelter once stood is still being revegetated, but there are some awesome tentsites plus a fire ring nearby up a blue-blaze in an appealling setting--and the old shelter piped spring is still going strong. If the MRATC was to ever consider getting rid of Thomas Knob, it wouldn't be the worst thing. They could build a shelter near where the tentsites I mentioned are--or (my preference) improve the tentsites, add a picnic table, privy, and a few other amenities--and forgo the shelter structure itself.

When I was at Thomas Knob last week, they were 2/3rd's thru re-roofing it, taking shingles down and putting metal up.

The privy was a wreck, as was the Wise Shelter privy. I don't understand why they have nailed two branches across the front, when closure of the privy with a sheet of roofing would be more effective. If the purpose isn't to close the privy, they have made it very inconvenient and possibly dangerous.

The mile marker should read 487.5 verses the 478.5 posted.

When I slept upstairs this spring, the plexiglas fell out of the window and almost decapitated me. It was held in with a piece of string.

Relayed from Grasshopper who stayed at Thomas Knob on April 17, 2007:

Thosmas Knob . . . part of its roof has worked lose and is banging every time the wind gusts, about once a minute. I can handle the wind but I hope the roof doesn't keep me up.

Big Muddy

one of the dumber shelter locations

If I recall correctly, this was the shelter in 2000 that was completely packed with hikers who had been there three days waiting out what appeared to be a brutal storm. Rain pelting, wind howling, fog swirling. Those on the upper deck wouldn't let any one up, claiming it was "full." Those on the lower deck were cramped together, including a family that had brought their very young baby with them.

Everyone was pretty surly.

I was just stopping to rest, and the vibe was somewhere in between pre-mutiny ship and mean-spirited leper colony.

Funny thing was, if any of those folk had packed up and hiked on, they would have realized that the storm was sitting stationary on top of the mountain. Two miles north the sun was shining.

Sometimes I discount what Lone Wolf says regarding shelters, 'cause I know he dislikes them generally. But he's dead on here.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Tear down all shelters. Pack a tent or tarp. Shelters make good firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Tear down all shelters.
    And not just on the trail! Tear down all shelters, and we can live a happy nomadic existence.

Well, except my Mom's house. She doesn't like camping.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I believe the no shelter discussion could live somewhere else. Has anyone been to Thomas Knob Shelter lately? What's the status of the shelter? Water anywhere around?
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBy View Post
    I believe the no shelter discussion could live somewhere else. Has anyone been to Thomas Knob Shelter lately? What's the status of the shelter? Water anywhere around?
    I was there a couple weeks ago and the shelter appeared to have undergone some remodeling somewhat recently. It now sports a metal roof (replacing the shake roof). The old solar privy has been replaced with one closer to the shelter, too. The old one is still there, it's just boarded off. Water behind Thomas Knob was non-existant when I was there.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We had lunch then took shelter as the rains came and the winds blew for a couple hours..played yahtzee on the floor and visited with fellow hikers.Did not stay overnight.

Had a full crowd at the shelter and a deer almost came in to join us. Liked the view but I heard form a Ranger that it can be get cold in the Spring and Fall.

About eleven at night a bunch of boy scouts with there leaders came running in as lighting was flashing and the thunder rolling. The storm passed and they returned back the camping areas close by.

Whats the water situation look like up there right now?

Images

We were up there 2 weeks ago and the water was very poor. It was a puddle. If I had a filter I might have gotten some water but was using AquaMira.

oh great. and its sooo early in the season for it to be so dry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++