WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water from Winding Stair Gap to Neel's Gap?

I am heading out this weekend and wondering if anybody has any recent updates on the water flow in this area. I know it's been relatively dry lately in the NC mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by beaudetious View Post
    I am heading out this weekend and wondering if anybody has any recent updates on the water flow in this area. I know it's been relatively dry lately in the NC mountains.
    From what I am hearing it is hit and miss with water, I am going the opposite direction next weekend. Good luck! and reports after would be nice

How much are you planning on toting at one time? 2L? 3L?

I’m a few days from finishing my thru hike and have found water reports notoriously inaccurate for some reason. As I’m heading south I ask NOBO section hikers about water. It must come down to what we are each willing to drink. Pools with no flow are ok so long as the water is clear and cool. For some, anyway. Others call that dry. Some will walk downhill from a dry spring and find a little to scoop from. Others just call it dry. Some will drink out of Dismal Creek (smells and tested positive for ecoli). I call that no water source at all. And many times you are just given wrong info and wonder if the other hiker was blind.

the best strategy is to carry a little extra and be prepared to hike on if your expected campsite has no water.

++ New Posts ++