WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt. Rogers / Grayson Highlands Water Report?

Doing a section through the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area in the next couple weeks and am looking for some water reports. I'll probably try the ranger station at the park when it's closer but is there anywhere/anyone else that can provide reports that you know of? Info is kind of spotty but I haven't found any previous reports of water sources being dry, particularly around Thomas Knob and Wise shelters. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I backpacked the AT/Crest Trail loop the weekend before last with my daughter. The springs were dry except for the spring near Rhododendron Gap (including the one near Thomas Knob). There was plenty of water at Quebec Branch and Wilson Creek. The AT crosses each near the Wise Shelter.

Any updates after the rain Monday/Tuesday? Heading down there this weekend. Hoping the spring behind the Thomas Knob shelter has some water now for convenience.

Rhododendron Gap spring had water 10/14.
    I heard Thomas Knob was a trickle but flowing.
    Creek flowing at Wise Shelter. Not sure of the spring.

Not sure where you are starting but Grayson Highlands now requires advance reservation for backcountry parking lot. No more getting them at the gate driving in.

Images

Not sure where you are starting but Grayson Highlands now requires advance reservation for backcountry parking lot. No more getting them at the gate driving in.

interesting.......

i wonder if they cap the limit?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    interesting.......

i wonder if they cap the limit?
    Looks like the max reservable is 40 spots. That’s about the size of the backcountry lot. They had a bunch of No Parking signs up along the shoulders that were new.

I’ll add... reservations are $8/day plus a $5 fee.

++ New Posts ++