WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarptent Stratospire 1

looking for some input/opinions on the Stratospire 1. i'm looking to reduce my shelter weight. my current shelter weighs 3lbs. 12oz's. it's a Sierra design Flashlight 2. the Stratospire, for a 1P tent seems to have enough room for me, plus i'll save 1.25lbs.

Tarptent seems to have a good reputation from the reviews I've read. just wondering if any of y'all have any 1st hand experience with this tent...…..TIA

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    looking for some input/opinions on the Stratospire 1.

You can find user reviews here --> https://www.tarptent.com/product/str...re-1/#tab-id-4

I finally bought one in 2017.
    I opted for the Part Solid inner tent. I’m glad I did. The solid inner makes the tent a true double wall tent. It blocks wind, diverts condensation from the rain fly, etc.
    I also use the fly alone when insects aren’t a problem.
    I sealed the seams myself.
    I am very happy with the SS 1!
    Wayne

thank-you Henry & Wayne

I put about 2000 miles on a strato 2. My buddy has put about 600 miles on a strato 1.
    He has said since the beginning he wish he had the 2. I am very happy i had the 2.
    I also replaced my strato with a duplex, and wish i had just rebought the strato 2 again
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I put about 2000 miles on a strato 2. My buddy has put about 600 miles on a strato 1.
    He has said since the beginning he wish he had the 2. I am very happy i had the 2.
    I also replaced my strato with a duplex, and wish i had just rebought the strato 2 again
    The irony of that is that I'm the complete opposite...had the Duplex, sold it to buy the SS Li. Miss the Duplex.

6oz difference in weight for a 20" wide floor gain, food for thought, thank-you!

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The irony of that is that I'm the complete opposite...had the Duplex, sold it to buy the SS Li. Miss the Duplex.
    Do you wanna trade?!

6oz difference in weight for a 20" wide floor gain, food for thought, thank-you!
    20” x 7’ish is alot of room! Its room for a pack to lean up, for alot of wet clothes to be laid out, room for 3 people to sit and cook dinner in the rain. Room for yourself and a large black lab to make thousands of miles of memories together in, or room for an ill prepared person to get out of the freezing cold rain.

At least those are my experiences with the strato 2

so it be a palace for me and a 30lb jack Russell boston terrier mix? Gambit, did you ever have an issue finding a site due to the size of the footprint on the SS2?

so it be a palace for me and a 30lb jack Russell boston terrier mix? Gambit, did you ever have an issue finding a site due to the size of the footprint on the SS2?
    No, if the Ss2 didnt fit in a spot i am sure a ss1 probably wouldnt either

Do you wanna trade?!
    Tempting but I'm now in the UK so shipping might be a little expensive. I got a hole in my SS Li along the edge (fixed with DCF tape of course). PM me if you would still be interested.

No, if the Ss2 didnt fit in a spot i am sure a ss1 probably wouldnt either
    ok thank you. another question,Tarptent list the weight at 44oz's on the SS2, stakes & guy lines included. do you know what your SS2 weighs? I just wondering if the weigh stated is accurate

ok thank you. another question,Tarptent list the weight at 44oz's on the SS2, stakes & guy lines included. do you know what your SS2 weighs? I just wondering if the weigh stated is accurate
    I would trust their weights. I have not weighed it myself. I would also like to edit my comment about the SS2 fitting anywhere that the SS1 would. The SS1 is obviously smaller and therefore could physically fit in a space that the SS2 could not. But in my experiences, I have found very few instances where my tent would not fit at a desired location. I was always able to make it work.

If in a tight space, you can set the SS 1 or 2 up without one of the vestibules as long as you guyout the apex on that side.
    For example close to a wall/tree/shrubs.
    Same as with the Notch :
    Notch-1-vest.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I finally bought one in 2017.
    I opted for the Part Solid inner tent. I’m glad I did. The solid inner makes the tent a true double wall tent. It blocks wind, diverts condensation from the rain fly, etc.
    I also use the fly alone when insects aren’t a problem.
    I sealed the seams myself.
    I am very happy with the SS 1!
    Wayne
    Do you think that i'd be able to fit a small dog (30lbs) inside the SS1 with me?

Images

I bought a Moment DW 3 years ago. Got the mostly fabric inner tent and it's great for cold weather camping. Blocks more wind and with the optional crossing pole is very stable in high winds. I can cook in one of the vestibules and use the other one for gear. One of the best gear purchases I've made.IMG_0700.JPGIMG_0469.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Do you think that i'd be able to fit a small dog (30lbs) inside the SS1 with me?
    The inner with 2 x 20" m size mats
    ss1-6.jpg

Thank-you Franco! I would say that I could, with room to spare!

UPDATE: so i bought the Protrail. received it tues & i set it up today. fastest and easiest tent i've ever set up! first impression is it's going to work out just fine. at 6' i can sit up in the front part of the tent to put my shoes on or cook under the vestibule. plenty of room at the back so my footbox doesn't touch. it's a good size for a one man tent, i don't have that coffin feeling when in it. had it seam sealed by TT so it's set up in my pasture awaiting tonights rain. the workmanship appears to be fine.

++ New Posts ++