WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need a thru hiking partner 2021

Hi I am looking for a hiking partner for the 2021 northbound thru hike. I am currently 17 and a junior in high school. I want to thru hike the Appalachian Trail at the end of my senior year, when I’m 18 before I go to college. If anyone is interested please message me!

It might seem like too soon, but my parents won't let me do it unless I find people to do it with from the start. I understnad that you do not always end up finishing with the people you start with and it is likely that I will find people out on the trail. I just want a person or two interested in thru hiking the same time as me, so we can get to know each other and plan together as well.

There will be many on the trail when you start. You'll have hiking partner(s). Keep an eye on this forum. There will be a Class of 2021 under Thru hiker classes that will start up next year. You will meet tons of folks that will be on trail with you then.

+1. Start solo and within 24 hours you will make lots of friends.

Also, Start in Mid April and save yourself the agony of winter time in the Smokies/ Appalachias.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

^^^ Both of the above.
    It's understandable that your parents have some concerns about you starting alone. There's actually very little risk in just meeting people who will wind up being your fellow thru-hikers / tramily starting at Amicalola Falls/Springer. You'll fall into a group of sorts. That said, exercise normal caution finding hiking partners online prior to starting.

Thanks for all of the feedback and advice, I really appreciate it!!

Images

You will be an adult in age without many adult responsibilities. Life will get busy soon. Do it.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

I'm also a 17-year-old looking to thru-hike in 2021 after high school. However, I already have a potential hiking partner. Just make sure you make good decisions on buying equipment before you go. I don't know if you've done any prior hiking before this, but just make sure you have great equipment on the trail. This means you will have to spend quite a bit beforehand. If you've already done this, then great! Everyone here will encourage you to hike the trail at this time in your life. This is the best time to do it since adult life gets very crowded, and I don't you to be stuck regretting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan "Guido" Jordan View Post
    I'm also a 17-year-old looking to thru-hike in 2021 after high school. However, I already have a potential hiking partner. Just make sure you make good decisions on buying equipment before you go. I don't know if you've done any prior hiking before this, but just make sure you have great equipment on the trail. This means you will have to spend quite a bit beforehand. If you've already done this, then great! Everyone here will encourage you to hike the trail at this time in your life. This is the best time to do it since adult life gets very crowded, and I don't you to be stuck regretting yourself.
    I am going to take this year to really focus on training/preparing to thru hiking the AT. I know if I don’t do it I will regret it if I don’t take this opportunity in my life to do something that I may never get a chance to do later. Thank you for taking the time to reply with some tips!

Why don't you all make it a threesome?

OP - if you really really have to have somebody start the trail with you, why not invite a parent(s) to start with you and do the first few nights together. I have no doubt that probably after the first day they'll be totally cool with the idea!
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++