WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: FYI, Fire Ban

Default FYI, Fire Ban

Heading into the Park Saturday, got a text from the Park Service today that a campfire ban is now in effect "due to the drought". Just a heads-up.

Let's hope this drought is not a repeat of our 2016 drought---resulting in the Gatlinburg fire and the Maple Springs/Kilmer fire and the big Rough Ridge/Cohutta fire.

I'm a Smokies local and addiction to campfires is no joke around here. During that 2016 ban I saw numerous folks ignoring the ban and making huge fires. Admittedly, the last one I saw was before the people died in Gatlinburg but it was a bit surprising that so many chose to ignore the ban. The consequences can literally be life or death. But I guess anyone who hikes in the southern apps is used to seeing fires left burning; happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    I'm a Smokies local and addiction to campfires is no joke around here. During that 2016 ban I saw numerous folks ignoring the ban and making huge fires. Admittedly, the last one I saw was before the people died in Gatlinburg but it was a bit surprising that so many chose to ignore the ban. The consequences can literally be life or death. But I guess anyone who hikes in the southern apps is used to seeing fires left burning; happens all the time.
    ADDICTION is not too strong a word. I'm all for a complete ban of all campfires in the Southeast mountains---a no brainer from September to December.

Images

I received the text today also. My trip starts next Saturday. The plan is for a multi day loop beginning at Fontana Dam. It seems like a good time to mark Eagle Creek off my map.

Looks like I'll have to swap my alcohol stove for a canister stove for now.

Last Thursday I did a day hike of Meigs Creek in the park. The map and brown book warned of 18 to 20 creek crossings and I was doing an out an back hike. As it turned out, I was able to rock hop and never got my feet wet.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, I got an email because I've got a permit for doing the Eagle Creek/AT loop.
    Unfortunately my plans include a stay at Mollies Ridge... one of the few sites in the back country currently listed as dry.

Just as a data point: I talked to the backcountry office about the spring at Collins. Hikers reported it as dry. A Ranger checked it, and it is running; the hikers didn't go far enough downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    I received the text today also. My trip starts next Saturday. The plan is for a multi day loop beginning at Fontana Dam. It seems like a good time to mark Eagle Creek off my map.
    Please report back on the water level on the Eagle Creek Trail. I'm just curious what it's like in drought conditions. The two times I have done Eagle Creek, I was wading through fast water up to my crotch. I always tell people to take water shoes, sandals, or an old pair of sneakers, and just put them on at the first crossing (before you get to 89) and not to take them off until you pass the crossing just on the north side of campsite 97.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yeah, I got an email because I've got a permit for doing the Eagle Creek/AT loop.
    Unfortunately my plans include a stay at Mollies Ridge... one of the few sites in the back country currently listed as dry.
    When are you doing Eagle Creek?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    Please report back on the water level on the Eagle Creek Trail. I'm just curious what it's like in drought conditions. The two times I have done Eagle Creek, I was wading through fast water up to my crotch. I always tell people to take water shoes, sandals, or an old pair of sneakers, and just put them on at the first crossing (before you get to 89) and not to take them off until you pass the crossing just on the north side of campsite 97.

I'll do that. My plans are to do just as you say and wear an old pair of shoes and as you said not change until further upstream.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When are you doing Eagle Creek?
    Weekend of Christopher Columbus Day

Looks like I'll have to swap my alcohol stove for a canister stove for now.

Probably a good precaution, though the text did say a ban on "campfires" so I'd think the alcohol stove (or even one of those twig-burning stoves) would be in bounds. I know when I lived out west they were approved for fire-ban areas.

Default Oops I was wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    Probably a good precaution, though the text did say a ban on "campfires" so I'd think the alcohol stove (or even one of those twig-burning stoves) would be in bounds. I know when I lived out west they were approved for fire-ban areas.
    Well, I was wrong. The text said campfires, but the reservations page online does specifically say stoves that use "pre-packaged compressed gas canisters" are still allowed, the clear meaning of which is that anything else is banned.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
    Well, I was wrong. The text said campfires, but the reservations page online does specifically say stoves that use "pre-packaged compressed gas canisters" are still allowed, the clear meaning of which is that anything else is banned.
    But that would mean that white-gas stoves would also be banned, and I can't hardly believe they are intending to ban white-gas stoves.

Even out in California, when they have a campfire ban, their standard cut-off point for what was allowed was "stoves with a shutoff valve" (and the popularity on alcohol stoves seemed to be pushing them to even expand that).

The notice I was sent closes with "Please contact the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Backcountry Office at 865-436-1297 if you have any questions".
    So I guess anyone planning a GSMNP hike with a stove other than a canister stove should give them a ring.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-27-2019 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    But that would mean that white-gas stoves would also be banned, and I can't hardly believe they are intending to ban white-gas stoves.

Even out in California, when they have a campfire ban, their standard cut-off point for what was allowed was "stoves with a shutoff valve" (and the popularity on alcohol stoves seemed to be pushing them to even expand that).

The notice I was sent closes with "Please contact the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Backcountry Office at 865-436-1297 if you have any questions".
    So I guess anyone planning a GSMNP hike with a stove other than a canister stove should give them a ring.
    Yep, my reaction as well. My guess would be they worded it wrong, but the safe bet would as you say to call the backcountry office.

Images

I did call. The gentleman that I talked to said my alcohol stove would be o.k., "just be careful ".

I spent two nights this week on the Pine Mountain Trail.There was a fire ban and the woods are unbelievably tinder box dry,so dry that I would have felt uncomfortable using my propane stove anywhere but right at the fire ring area where there is nothing but bare dirt.It was no problem as I never cook at lunch.

When I use alcohol I like the Starlyte stove by Zelph because I can't spill it and it would be pretty difficult to tip over.

++ New Posts ++