WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can I day hike the Roan Highlands?

Hi!
    I would like to do a point to point, day hike from carver's gap to 19e next month. Online I've seen the distance listed everywhere from 13 to 19 miles, but
    I'm thinking it's probably around 17 miles?
    Is this hike feasible to do during daylight in October? starting time will probably be 8am
    Also, any advice for this section? all is welcome

Condition wise, I'm a little heavier, but run about 4 miles a day, including hill sprints and have been doing 8 mile hikes every two weeks or so in the Apps. To my knowledge, the longest semi-tracked hike I've done in the Apps so far was big bald in Feb at 13.5 miles in roughly 5 or 5 1/2 hrs.

I'm thinking I'll probably carry a backpack with a windbreaker, power bank, gloves, and (I'm currently thinking) 5 liters of water.

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Góralska View Post
    Hi!
    I would like to do a point to point, day hike from carver's gap to 19e next month. Online I've seen the distance listed everywhere from 13 to 19 miles, but
    I'm thinking it's probably around 17 miles?
    Is this hike feasible to do during daylight in October? starting time will probably be 8am
    Also, any advice for this section? all is welcome

Condition wise, I'm a little heavier, but run about 4 miles a day, including hill sprints and have been doing 8 mile hikes every two weeks or so in the Apps. To my knowledge, the longest semi-tracked hike I've done in the Apps so far was big bald in Feb at 13.5 miles in roughly 5 or 5 1/2 hrs.

I'm thinking I'll probably carry a backpack with a windbreaker, power bank, gloves, and (I'm currently thinking) 5 liters of water.

Thanks!
    I would start from Carvers Gap at Sunrise and Walk NoBo! My only other thought would be that the views will slow you down!!!

You can do it for sure. Yes to the wind breaker, I would look into getting a sawyer filter and only carry 1-2 liters. If it helps you any The mileage is actually closer to 14.8 miles.(pic below) The last 3 miles are downhill and you only really have 2 climbs -- out of yellow mountain gap up to little hump, and hump mountain. From hump mountain its all downhill. Bring a headlamp.

IMG_3191.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

+1. Sunrise from the first bald would be a great start. Don't forget a flashlight.

Okay great, thanks!

definitely! The views are what this hike is all about!

Years ago we got dropped off at Carvers gap in the fall with backpacks and hiked to Apple Orchard shelter (now gone) which was just short of US 19E. We stopped to see the Overmountain Shelter on the way for break. It was a particularly grueling day and we were decidedly not fast hikers. We started with a hard frost in the AM and there were stiff winds all day. Much of the trail is exposed so its easy to get cold. I think I wore mittens and balaclava until noon. Make sure you have gear appropriate to the weather and hope it stays in your pack. If I remember water is an issue along the ridge.

Garlic
    Images

Five liters of water sounds excessive for a hike in cool fall weather. Water is heavy.

I did Carvers Gap to 19e as a day hike back in 2015. I didn't do any side trips like Grassy Ridge or the Overmountain Shelter and stuck to the AT. My GPS said it was 14.1 miles and it took me about 10 hours. I started at 7:30AM and finished around 5:30PM. the only tough climbs is the climb out of Yellow Gap and the climb up Hump Mountain. Besides that this isn't that hard of a hike but you'll have a slow pace because it's one spectacular view after another.

Images

I was just up there a few weeks ago. I spent Friday night near Grassy Ridge trail. On Saturday it was a circus, one college group day hiking was 72 people with one wearing Bluetooth speakers blaring music. I'd say I met at least 200 other mostly day hikers. Leave early if you want to miss the crowd.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Definitely bring a headlamp, and yes a filter could help you reduce the amount of water you have to carry at a time (2.2 lb/liter).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Góralska View Post
    definitely! The views are what this hike is all about!
    Ok so I looked at the time stamps between Carvers gap and 19E with a full pack on it took me 8 hours and 20 minutes total. That was with several breaks, no side trip to the barn and to what I would consider just mosying along on a busy busy day.

I would say that if i were solo and really trying I could do it in about 6.0 hours with no pack on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Did this trek back in the 80s---
    fotog 999.jpg
    Tipi, based upon the colors in that picture, it looks like it could have been the 70s.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Stay at Mountain Harbor B&B and hostel just off the trail at 19E. They will shuttle you to Carver’s Gap. It’s an easy 15 mile hike back. They have THE best breakfast on the trail. And I’m not kidding. 8:00 sharp each morning. Don’t pass it up.

I would also rather do this one NOBO. If you would go SOBO, the last half of your hike would be due west, into the setting sun.

Always question why you need to bring 5 liters of water. As another said, bring a filter or Aqua Mira and fill up with water about 6-7 miles in by taking the short walk down the blue blaze trail to the Overmountain camping area. That spring usually runs pretty well. If you camel up at Carvers you can probably get away with carrying a liter and a half over the first balds.

Many people day hike that great section, but start early. I think that is the best overnight hike in the southeast (when the weather is cooperating).

Thanks! I'll look into getting a filter

Wanted to update since I did the hike today. According to the fitbit I borrowed, the distance from Carver's gap to 19e, including the barn, was 14.45 miles. It took me 5hrs and 42 minutes including small breaks. Carried 4L of water since I'm a guzzler but I drank way less today, perhaps because I didn't want to take my pack off or because of the cooler weather (drank 2L). I also eneded up wearing my windbreaker once I crossed big hump until I got to the woods.
    20191015_122248.jpg20191015_124426.jpg 20191015_124913.jpg
    Last edited by Góralska; 10-17-2019 at 11:47.

Outstanding! Thats a good pace and cool pics!
    so after doing the hike did you better learn your capabilities for a long day hike?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++